The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Date validation, errors not showing when using virtual attributes

virtual attributes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jschrock1

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

I had a simple datetime field set up in my model, it displays fine and saves fine after an edit...  If I entered an invalid date rails crashed indicating ArgumentError and had the strace stack etc..  So now I wanted to show the errror in a user friendly approach, staying on the page for the user to re-enter his date.

After viewing the railscast on virtual attributes, I wanted to add my own date_text virtual attributes and capture an ArgumentError if the user enters a bad date.  I got stuck on the following: the code works, and when I render the "show" page, all fields show up, and the date field is blank.  This is expected, although not my end goal, I want to to re-render the page with a friendly error message. 

The following code is simply not good enough, as after the user enters a bad date, the "show" page displays with all data except a blank date.  Here is my model with the virtual attributes coded.  Also after this code segment I listed a code snipet that is in my show view that I thought was to check for errors..

def due_date_text
      self.due_date.strftime("%Y-%m-%d %I:%M %p") if self.due_date.present?	

def due_date_text=(inDate)
  	self.due_date = DateTime.parse(inDate)
  	rescue ArgumentError
     	self.errors.add(:ERROR, "Date out of range")
<% if @task.errors.any? %>
    <div id="error_explanation">
      <h2><%= pluralize(@task.errors.count, "error") %> prohibited this task from being saved:</h2>
        <% @task.errors.full_messages.each do |msg| %>
           <li><%= msg %></li>
        <% end %>
  <% end %>

The save does work, data for this record is placed in the database, so in the create method after I do if task.save, process enters the true condition and then renders the "show" page as mentioned above with all data and blank date.

How do I get this error message to appear on the "new" page so the user can re-enter his date?  Probably a better question is, how do I stop the save from inserting a record in the database and process the rescue code as a "hard" error?  Based on the railscast I might need to create an attr_writer rather than a due_date_trext= ....  I've actually tried many variations of that and very little worked for me, so now im just trying thigns one step at a time, perhaps if I can get through this problem I can code it up more elegantly... 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: virtual attributes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users