The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

What do you expect from an experienced Junior-Intermediate RoR Developer?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stefanos Ioannou

Stefanos Ioannou

Passenger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

(Thanks in advance, as your response will greatly help me to reach my goal as I am currently learning rails and will apply for a job in March-April 2014)

If you would hire a Junior-Intermediate RoR Developer to work with you or your team, what would you expect from him/her?

For example: - would you expect him/her to have a portfolio with examples of his work? any kind of specific work? - worked with TDD, have examples of TDD - be able to make front-end development (with for example coffeescript, Javascript, Ajax) - worked with any kind of design pattern? - worked with specific gems? - worked for certain tasks in the past? - etc, etc.

Thank you :)

#2 james

james

Guard

• Moderators
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLeeds, U.K.

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

Passion! That's it! Of course technical skills are important but passion and a love for what you do is what you need to get across, show off what you are good at, it will shine through and don't be shy about knowing and expressing your limitations.

Above that a good understanding of OO design and the DRY principles used by Rails.

It is not possible for a junior programmer to be all things to everyone so don't be disappointed if your skill set does not match up to a particular job specification. So long as you are able to display technical competence and an understanding of why you have taken certain approaches to solving problems there will be a position out there for you.

• Stefanos Ioannou likes this

Programming is just about problem solving!

#3 Stefanos Ioannou

Stefanos Ioannou

Passenger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

Thank you very much James  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users