The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Setting up MySQL for rails. Local host not connecting.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EdenV

EdenV

Passenger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:51 AM

Hello everyone. I'm very new to Ruby On Rails and I'm very excited about learning it. However, I've been told that the only way to learn it is to have a MySQL database set up as well to test all the applications through. I've found setting up Rails quite simple and painless. However, all the searches in the world aren't helping me figure out why my MySQL Workbench 6.0 won't connect to the local host (my laptop).

Each time that I do an Internet search to find someone, (ANYONE!), who can help me figure this out, I get all kinds of results from guys who have previous versions of Workbench installed on their computers. Unfortunately, the new 6.0 version has an entirely new look and many of the old program features are no longer available. For first timers like myself, trying to follow instructions and navigate the new user interface with old, outdated instructions is confusing and frustrating.

Even the instructions on the site attempt to walk you through step by step instructions on how to install it and get it up and running. But each step only tells you what to do if the results from the previous step are perfect. When the results are wrong, you're stuck. There are no trouble shooting instructions. I've deleted and reinstalled several times and still can't get the stupid program to recognize the host for the same darn computer it's installed on. Can someone PLEASE help me??!!!!

If anyone out there knows what's going on and can kindly walk me through it via Skype, I'll be the happiest guy on earth!!!

#2 stevieing

stevieing

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

Sometimes you have to separate the two learning processes. Rails is database agnostic so it should not matter what kind of DB server you are using for the learning process.

I don't know who told you that the only way to learn Rails was to have a mySQL database setup as well but that is not true. If you intend to use Rails in production then you would need to use an enterprise ready database server.

For now my advice would be to use SQLite as it needs very little setup. A lot of people (including myself) use this for their development environment.

Once you are fully comfortable with using Rails and are looking to take your application to the next level then is the time to start worrying about other tools in your stack.

Hope that helps

Steve.

#3 Kevin

Kevin

Signalman

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

Sometimes you have to separate the two learning processes. Rails is database agnostic so it should not matter what kind of DB server you are using for the learning process.

I don't know who told you that the only way to learn Rails was to have a mySQL database setup as well but that is not true. If you intend to use Rails in production then you would need to use an enterprise ready database server.

For now my advice would be to use SQLite as it needs very little setup. A lot of people (including myself) use this for their development environment.

Once you are fully comfortable with using Rails and are looking to take your application to the next level then is the time to start worrying about other tools in your stack.

Hope that helps

Steve.

absolutely agree with Steve.
Rails is agnostic with db, you can use Postgres,oracle,mySQL,Sqlite, any db you want. Just set up the gem as its driver and match the configuration on database.yml

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users