The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Community Project

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jamie

Jamie

Controller

• Moderators
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe UK

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

Hi guys

Who's interested in developing a community project?

Few ideas I had and I know there's millions of them out there, but a few of my personal favs would be;

• Forum system
  • Blog/cms platform
  • Invoice system
  • Human Resources work calendar, holiday requests system

Anyone interested?

Rails developer based in Newcastle, UK.
Web app owner - Twitter lover

#2 Ohm

Ohm

Guard

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:33 AM

This sounds interesting. A collaborate project. Open source.

I want to see a blog platform at the same height as Wordpress, but written in Ruby on Rails.

Yeah, I know. There's already Jekyll, Octopress, Radiant, Refinery, Middleman, Monologue, Publify, and many more, however none of these, I think, is very customisable and "theme-able" as Wordpress is.

The installation should be just as easy as Wordpress, just upload a folder to a web host and - Bam! - you've got yourself a blog. 

One could look at what the guys at Ghost did to make their system beautiful - I really love the fullscreen side-by-side view of the markdown and the preview as well as the dashboard.

Ghost of course has the problem that it is written in Node.js - and no normal person could ever figure that out.  :rolleyes:

Also the blogging system shouldn't be too bloated, like Wordpress has become. Wordpress is not longer a blogging system, but rather a full fletched CMS. This is not what I want. It should be minimal, simple, and easy. Jekyll is almost there, however they miss out on the easy-for-the-average-guy thing.

Well, that's just my two cents. 

• Jamie likes this

Blog: http://ohm.sh | Twitter: madsohm

#3 Jamie

Jamie

Controller

• Moderators
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe UK

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

I agree completely with you.

I like Ghost. But I think something that is easy to install, or is it's own Module to add into your own Rails app would be good. Same as what Forem has the ability to do. Copy files & you're done.

I'm up for starting this :)

I'll setup a repo over the weekend and we could use this thread for ideas and development notes :)

#4 sammy

sammy

Passenger

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:43 AM

Not 100% keen on a blog or forum app - simply because the market is so flooded by major players. I think Wordpress has it right for the non-technical people - you don't even need to host any of the files, you just sign up and enter a blog name, and bam! You also have an online interface for adding/installing themes etc, which again caters to the non-technical market. If you look at something like Jekyll, it has over 250 contributors.

How about creating a gem that allows other gems to be installed by the less technical person? It would allow gems like OctoPress, Jekyll etc to simply add a configuration file - detailing out the procedure for an install - which our gem would convert into a simple installation user-interface.  

I would be interested in contributing, no matter the decided project - but I think we could do better than "just another X"? 

Sam

• Jamie likes this

#5 Jamie

Jamie

Controller

• Moderators
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe UK

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

I agree with you too Sammy.

I just feel there is a lot of complicated blogging and forum platforms in the Rails community for beginners.

Normally it's one of those projects a beginner tries to create and they look at others to get an idea how it was done but get confused quickly.

I wouldn't mind doing a few projects if people are up for it and a simple forum system is one of my top priorities where a beginner can look at it and understand how it was done but also use it/install it very quickly.

Hopefully some others have some input soon but we should just get started :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users