The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

What do you think about Discourse?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AstonJ

AstonJ

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

The Rails/Ember forum http://www.discourse.org

What do you think about it?

:)

#2 Jamie

Jamie

Controller

• Moderators
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe UK

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

I'm not really a fan of it to be honest.

I am very much a lover of the way IPB/vB forums operate without the topic/post view.

That said, I haven't used Discourse but from first glance it's not my cup of tea.

Rails developer based in Newcastle, UK.
Web app owner - Twitter lover

#3 Stuart Hannig

Stuart Hannig

Signalman

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

I like it overall. It looks like a great discussion board tool.

However, I as well, enjoy the classic forum feel of vB and IPB. I'm sure someone will create a skin or mod to make it resemble how vB and IPB are laid out. But the software is still in major development so we will see. Overall though, a great open-source software that Rails has been needing.

#4 noz

noz

Signalman

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

I find the interface a little confusing personally. Though I'm very intrigued by all that ajaxy/ember goodness. 

#5 burmjohn

burmjohn

Passenger

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

I'm not really a fan of it to be honest.

I am very much a lover of the way IPB/vB forums operate without the topic/post view.

That said, I haven't used Discourse but from first glance it's not my cup of tea.

Same here. I love IPB, but discourse is in its early stages.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

#6 Jemagee

Jemagee

Inspector

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:29 PM

I've looked at it before, from a user point of view, as someone with a long history on discussion boards (hands up if you remember usenet and using mosaic to 'browse' the web) and I actually found it a bit muddled - I get the attempts they are making but the 'quote' function seems to work quite well - having everything in one post including the source works as a way to follow the point being made - having to click to 'pop up' the 'replied to' comment is just more work the user shouldn't have to go through.

#7 AstonJ

AstonJ

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:35 AM

I too like the traditional forum layout - I think people often like to browse a forum because the various topics/categories interest them. Discourse devs should consider adding the last post info to their categories tab imo - so that it is more like the traditional forums (they get best of both worlds then).

There was some brouhaha about the license, but I didn't really look into it enough.

The biggest concern for me is that by default, they get a copy of all your members usernames/email addresses/interests(forums they're registered on). I wish they would scrap that idea.

Aside from that, I like it - I like that it's taking forums in another direction.

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users