The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Has anybody taken the Pragmatic Studio Ruby on Rails video training?

Pragmatic Studio video training?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 curtisaallen

curtisaallen

Passenger

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

Hey Guys,
I'm really interested in taking the Pragmatic Studio Ruby on Rails video training. But would like to know if any of you guys have taken it and what do you think of it. Is it worth 200? Below is a link to the training that I am talking about
http://pragmaticstudio.com/rails

#2 rayray

rayray

Signalman

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

I think it's a really good introduction for Rails beginners. But is it worth $200? That depends on your experience and wallet.  ;)

Before purchasing, I would recommend you to try Michael Hartl's free railstutorial at http://ruby.railstutorial.org/. If you don't like it or it's to hard for you, then switch to pragmatic studio.

I'm Jack's complete lack of ruby knowledge.

#3 Funnyvibe

Funnyvibe

Signalman

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

I honestly would not bother for that price. Grab the prag prog ebook maybe, follow rails casts and if you really need more video help then turn to YouTube. Once you get the gist of it, stack overflow and rails docs will be your best friend.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  • james likes this

#4 Rowel

Rowel

Controller

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

Yup, $200 seems overpriced considering the cheaper competition out there (with still good video materials and content), and some nice tutorial 'gems' can also be found on Youtube - free. 

#5 Morph

Morph

Passenger

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

Personally, I think $200 is overpriced. I'm a beginner but I'm finding great free material all over Google. Definitely take a look at http://ruby.railstutorial.org/, from there I used YouTube to build a blog with & without scaffolding which was really good. I then used RailsCasts, StackOverflow and other blogs to help me further.

#6 AJLWebDev

AJLWebDev

Passenger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

I plan on taking the Pragmatic Studio Ruby on Rails video training (getting it for myself as a Christmas gift), so I will be able to jump back in and give you my take on it. I took their Ruby video course and was impressed with it. I am definitely a more visual learner and enjoy the video aspect of training. I have worked through an older version of Michael Hartl's tutorial and came away a little confused, so hoping this will help solidify my admittedly "beginner" level of knowledge. 

#7 curtisaallen

curtisaallen

Passenger

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Hey Guys,

Just want to let you know that I paid the 200 and I was really impressed with the training. For me it was worth paying for the training and I would recommend Pragmatic Studio Ruby on Rails video training to anybody looking to learn ROR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users