Thredded, the best Rails forums engine, has just released v0.8. This is a major release that adds these major improvements:
- More granular user notification settings.
- Autocompletion for @-mentions.
- Turbolinks 5 support, and async and defer script loading support for maximum performance.
- View hooks that let your app and plugins easily extend Thredded views.
- A Code Syntax Highlighting plugin.
- A BBCode markup plugin.
- An app generator that generates a fully-configured Rails app with Thredded and Devise.
Some of the features currently in Thredded:
- Markdown post formatting.
- (Un)read posts tracking
- Email notifications, topic subscriptions, @-mentions, per-messageboard notification settings.
- Private group messaging.
- Full-text search using the database.
- Pinned and locked topics.
- List of currently online users, for all forums and per-messageboard.
- Flexible permissions system.
- Configurable moderation with fully-feature moderation UI
- Lightweight default theme configurable via Sass.
- Fully i18n’d with localizations in Brazilian Portuguese (contributions with other locales welcome)