The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Controller / View not accessible

Controller View Beginner Rails 4

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rubyist

rubyist

Passenger

• Validating
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

Dear Rails coder,

I'm new to the Rails framework and community and wanted to give it a try today. The basic setup under windows was done with 'RailsInstaller' (railsinstaller-windows 3.0.0-alpha2 with Ruby 2.0.0). 

The instructions in the following tutorial are easy to understand and  I did exactly the same, but I can't access the cotroller or view in the browser under localhost:3000/hello/world.

https://www.youtube....h?v=nt76hUw1Zik

If I access the created view the following error message(s) will appear, which you find in the attachments of this post.

Thanks for every response ;)

#2 james

james

Guard

• Moderators
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLeeds, U.K.

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

Hhhmm! The turbo links javascript is not being found and I suspect an environment issue rather than your code.

You have used an installer that is only in alpha test mode and hasn't even reached beta test yet.

Can I suggest that you use the ruby installer rather than the rails installer as per the official Rails getting started guide http://rubyonrails.org/download It links to http://rubyonrails.org/download

This is a rock solid installation method an totally works with setting up ruby and Rails under windows.

But...

You will quickly find that there is a lot of *nix specific functionality that RoR is able to take advantage of that is difficult to find alternatives for under Windows. You will find that the majority of RoR developers will use either a Mac or a Linux distro. You might find it easier if you installed Linux mint under virtualbox to do your RoR development. It's a much nicer environment than windows and you may well decide to set up a dual boot option once you get used to it.

Hope that helps

Programming is just about problem solving!

#3 rubyist

rubyist

Passenger

• Validating
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

I know that alpha-versions are still not for working environments, but this was the only version of the installer which included Rails 4 and Ruby 2.0 and the error maybe is the result of wrong code.

I personally also prefer Unix-like distros and I like the powerful shell. While finishing my PC-setup will Linux deffenetly my second OS or at least running in a VM.

#4 james

james

Guard

• Moderators
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLeeds, U.K.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:19 AM

The Ruby Installer installs Rails 4 with Ruby 2 properly. I am sure you are facing an environment issue rather than a coding issue.

Programming is just about problem solving!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Controller, View, Beginner, Rails 4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users