The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Do you "worry" about Javascript being disabled in your users?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rowel

Rowel

Controller

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

I'm developing a new site for a client (it's actually a redesign), and I'm going to town with this....  

This is the works.... Responsive Design, looks good and easy to navigate even in mobile/tablet/dektop, with hidden/sliding menu panels, panel menus loaded dynamically with Ajax, etc...  jQuery, typekit, etc.  

I'm hot to redesign this site, because it's last redesign was 10 years ago. 

Works great! Looks great! 

Then I turn off javascript... and while main page content is still visible, the interactive UX/UI doesn't work anymore, the typekit fonts fall back to default fonts, and the site just looks... meh... STATIC! 

The site *needs* javascript turned on.  If users have their javascript disabled, I can't guarantee that they'll be able to get to 100% of the site because they won't get access to the menu.  

Now, I may detect if the user has disabled javascript and just display a plain menu for these 1% of users.... don't know yet. 

I'm curious if you test your site with javascript turned off, or if you just don't worry about these "luddites"?  I guess if they have their JS disabled, they're used to looking and encountering "broken" websites. My goodness! It's already 2013! 

#2 lazarus

lazarus

Signalman

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

Well, I had almost the same concern but not about javascript on/off. I was wondering whether the HTML5 features should be skipped in favour of browser compatibility or not.

When you want to create an application with effective functionality some features may not be available to users having older browsers or standard properties disabled such as Javascript in your case.

• You should mind about these users if your site is really simple and it doesn't really need that unavailable feature.
  • You shouldn't mind if your application has a more complex functionality and the features you use make people happy.

The real question for me is whether I should spend time to make it compatible increasing my code complexity or to ask them to upgrade.

I chose the second :)

#3 Kevin

Kevin

Signalman

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

I dont worry at all, you said it yourself : this is 2013. Even facebook.com is broken when you turned of your browser's JS and they asked you to move to their mobile site version,which does not require javascript.

Probably, you can do the same : make a static version of your site if, well.. it's worthed.

#4 RichOnRails

RichOnRails

Signalman

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

I wouldn't worry.  If users turn off Javascript it's their issue.  It's up to them to turn it back on in order to see your site.  While that sounds kind of mean, there are no browsers shipping today that default to having Javascript disabled, most users either use a script blocking plugin or turn it off manually.  There are very few websites out there on the internet that work with Javascript disabled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users