The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Ask RailsForum: What do you want to see in Rails 4.1?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 guilleiguaran

guilleiguaran

Passenger

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

We've started planning out Rails 4.1: https://twitter.com/...620806064783361

Is there any feature, fix, or gem integration you'd love to see happen?

Note: this was inspired by the thread by Steve in HN (https://news.ycombin...item?id=6195616)

Edited by guilleiguaran, 14 August 2013 - 11:46 PM.

• AstonJ likes this

#2 Adam

Adam

Inspector

• Administrators
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:49 PM

To be honest, Rails 4 is pretty nifty as it is and I can't honestly think of anything which I would find helpful and think should be part of the core.

I did see in another post that you are working with Conductor which maybe be useful for people who are new to Rails and unfamiliar with a terminal so I think that's a good thing providing it doesn't impact of the performance and can easily be unloaded when not needed. 

Keep up the good work :)

Adam Cooke

from aTech Media - UK-based Ruby on Rails developers. 

Follow me on Twitter  •  Check out my code on GitHub  •  Take a look at my designs

#3 AstonJ

AstonJ

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:02 AM

Little things or big things?

How about being able to specify defaults in routes.rb, such as rel: "nofollow"? So things like 'contact us' pages are always nofollowed unless the default is overridden. Or is this a daft idea? I am good at thinking up those!  :wacko:

• james likes this

:)

#4 johns276

johns276

Passenger

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

Two very small considerations: keeping secret_token.rb out of version control would be great; bring queues back would be brilliant. I am sure there are other much bigger fish to fry, but addressing those two items would great.

#5 guilleiguaran

guilleiguaran

Passenger

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

@johns276, thanks!! Definitely a better way for save secrets and bring back queues are in our current TODO list :)

@AstonJ, the idea is a bit strange and I'm not sure if is possible to do it directly in our current routing system, do you know any gems doing something similar? :)

Thanks for your feedback!!!

#6 Tom

Tom

Signalman

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

I'd like to see the Rails team consider solutions for making authorization easier. I know an all-out solution would ultimatley be limiting but looking for little featuers to make it easier could really be a good step. I'm thining along the lines of what Rails did with has_secure_password -- something that makes things easier but doesn't force you to do anything. I wish I had some more solid ideas but I don't. I just know this is an area that feels like it needs improvement.

#7 RichOnRails

RichOnRails

Signalman

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:33 PM

Minor things like:

• Rename application.css to application.scss
  • Use resources instead of get in routes.rb when creating a new controller via rails generate.
  • Revamped i18n.  Right now it can be a convoluted mess for users trying to figure out where to put your text for the built in stuff like field names.
  • Better Windows Support when running Ruby 2.x.  Make sure that all gems (sqlite3 i'm looking at you) have binary versions so that users don't have to hunt down the source and attempt to compile it themselves. (This is causing issues for me trying to teach my coworkers running Windows Ruby on Rails, had to fall back to Ruby 1.9.3...)
  • Include the Jquery Turbolinks gem by default OR remove turbolinks as a default. (So Rails apps aren't broken by default when they use JQuery ;))

#8 RichOnRails

RichOnRails

Signalman

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

Oh yeah, one more thing, a bit of a variation of what Aston was saying.  Automatically include rel="nofollow" on hyperlinks when using link_to when a complete url is specified.  Also include the ability to turn this feature off for users that don't want it in the app config.  Most users need it, and not including rel="nofollow" nowadays can get you penalized by Google.

#9 RichOnRails

RichOnRails

Signalman

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

Hah, ok, one more, clean up of form helper options, for example, when using form_for, i have to use html: { class: "classname" 7} to specify a css class.  I don't have to use it anywhere else.  Select boxes have similar issues.  For all form helper methods you should just be able to do class: "class"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users