The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

What are you currently working on?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 AstonJ

AstonJ

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

Just curious :P

I a currently working on the site in my signature - my first Rails 4 site (haven't even posted it on Twitter yet!) There are more sections to come, but we've just made it public so people can start sending in photos. So if you're a dog owner please feel free to send in some pics!

What about you?

Edited by AstonJ, 14 August 2013 - 09:49 PM.

• Jamie likes this

:)

#2 Adam

Adam

Inspector

• Administrators
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

I'm currently working on just optimising bits of this forum and about to continuing working on an existing new project which we're launching later this year :)

• Jamie and AstonJ like this

Adam Cooke

from aTech Media - UK-based Ruby on Rails developers. 

Follow me on Twitter  •  Check out my code on GitHub  •  Take a look at my designs

#3 Jamie

Jamie

Controller

• Moderators
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe UK

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

What I'm working on for pleasure..

I'm busy working on the next version of Outingly.com which has been online for about a month now and gained a lot of feedback.

A huge learning curve for me using Rails - it was great fun building it.

What I'm working on for business..

1. Online store - Order products, take credit card payments using PayPal
  2. Warehouse order tracker - Display new jobs on a big screen for workers to see
  3. Simple holiday tracker for office staff
  4. Local sandwich shop order tool - Display menu and order menu for pick-up at lunch

I don't like to be bored and I keep myself busy with lots of projects that I feel I can help local businesses, friends and make a quick buck or two to pay for the dreaded motor tax, services and fuel.

• AstonJ likes this
Rails developer based in Newcastle, UK.
Web app owner - Twitter lover

#4 MrPepper

MrPepper

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

As I am still learning I am just bouncing from tutorial / training sites.. Currently - One Month Rails

Edited by MrPepper, 14 August 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#5 Jemagee

Jemagee

Inspector

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

As I am still learning I am just bouncing from tutorial / training sites.. Currently - One Month Rails

Have you tried the Hartl tutorial?  I'm almost through it (On the last chapter) I find it very informative as a basic beginner tutorial - but I want to find other things to build upon it - I don't know where to go to next - i'm afraid that just diving into my project ideas (which are all pretty complex) will leave me aggravated and then i'll give up

#6 Kelli Shaver

Kelli Shaver

Inspector

• Administrators
  • 75 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

For clients, I'm working on a mobile GTD/to-do type app, a photo sharing service, and an audio transcription service. I'm doing everything on the first, API development/supporting apps/networking stuff on the other two. 

For myself, personally, I've got a small weekend project planned for a little niche meetup/event management app.

#7 AstonJ

AstonJ

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:31 PM

Have you tried the Hartl tutorial?  I'm almost through it (On the last chapter) I find it very informative as a basic beginner tutorial - but I want to find other things to build upon it - I don't know where to go to next - i'm afraid that just diving into my project ideas (which are all pretty complex) will leave me aggravated and then i'll give up

Have a look here: Best way to learn Ruby and Rails

Edited by AstonJ, 14 August 2013 - 11:32 PM.

:)

#8 guilleiguaran

guilleiguaran

Passenger

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

Right now I'm working as volunteer of Rails organization and I'm mentoring Conductor project in Rails Girls Summer of Code and WebConsole project in Google Summer of Code. Both projects are planned to be included in Rails 4.1

Edited by guilleiguaran, 14 August 2013 - 11:36 PM.

#9 Jemagee

Jemagee

Inspector

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:44 PM

Everything I"m currently working on is in the embryonic planning stages of an 'idea' - the domains exist - that's about all - some are simple - some are complex

JohnHasADHD.com - this will be my metablog platform built primariliy for me to write about my numerous interests and ideas - but who knows - i haven't been very impressed by the blogging platforms available for Rails - plus there will be a variety of models, sports models, recipe models, maybe a tv and movie review model

thewhedonverse.com - exactly what it sounds like if you know who i'm referring to - but there will be a 'family tree' aspect to it - as I was a science major - to explain how they litter the tv and film landscape with influence

Reynolds2016.com - because Malcolm Reynolds woould be the best President this country had since Josiah Bartlet

No Name - I have a friend who runs a small natural food brokerage who wants a web site to do a bunch of things - first step is to learn carrierwave/paperclip and how to link documents to a specific 'company' with access levels for different users

#10 noz

noz

Signalman

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:01 AM

I'm working with GraphViz currently to generate rich node graphs on the fly from large (and complex) datasets for an online tournament application I built for my company using Rails. Check out http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IxSSbUrgTBY to see what I mean.

Next up, I'm working on rolling out a WebGL script using the three.js library to render some user-supplied 3D assets that get uploaded to the site.

Edited by noz, 15 August 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#11 Jemagee

Jemagee

Inspector

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

I'm working with GraphViz currently to generate rich node graphs on the fly from large (and complex) datasets for an online tournament application I built for my company using Rails. Next up, I'm working on rolling out a WebGL script using the three.js library to render some user-supplied 3D assets that get uploaded to the site.

Does this online tournament application allow you to build brackets (like the NCAA?) and is it open to the public or only for pay?  (I have some plans for things I want to do on my own web site fo contests and thel iek)

#12 johns276

johns276

Passenger

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

For work: maintain and develop two sites, one to track usage of resources on a high performance cluster, and another to monitor tape backup usage.

For fun? We use RequestTracker (RT). Ugh. Written entirely --well mostly-- in perl. Ugh. Reinventing the wheel in RoR4.

#13 Ohm

Ohm

Guard

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

For fun

I just finished (are you ever really finished with a project) an online accounting system for my old dormitory, where we would essentially buy cheap beer in Germany and sell it to ourselves.

We needed an accounting to keep track of who drank what, how much, and what they owed the common purse.

I really want to make an online cookbook with user added recipes, so that might be my next project, if I ever get the time.

Out of Rails scope: I am currently hacking together the songbook for the Computer Science study line at Copenhagen University, where we have approx. 128 songs in our songbook each year.

This is made with LaTeX (of course) and then some Perl, Python and Bash script to glue it all together.

For work

I am currently rewriting our flow, so instead of one long page with lots of options the user has to think about, it will be four smaller pages, each with little interaction (only a couple of mouse/key presses per page)

Blog: http://ohm.sh | Twitter: madsohm

#14 Jemagee

Jemagee

Inspector

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

For fun

I really want to make an online cookbook with user added recipes, so that might be my next project, if I ever get the time.

Ohm

If you ever get started on that cookbook idea or want some help (from a more beginner level rails guy but good database guy) let me know - one of the man aspects of my 'meta blog' will be recipes (that i design myself) that will do things like create shopping lists, scale up, (most of my recipes are based on weights, not measurements, so they should convert between grams and lbs), and maybe even find all recipes that contain X

#15 noz

noz

Signalman

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Does this online tournament application allow you to build brackets (like the NCAA?) and is it open to the public or only for pay?  (I have some plans for things I want to do on my own web site fo contests and thel iek)

We're trying to cover a wide spectrum of different tournament formats because eventually we want users to create their own tournaments (it's currently admin-controlled). So far we've covered round-robin, knockout brackets similar to NCAA (single-elim, double-elim), and custom formats where you just rank players based on arbitrary values such as time or score. 

Essentially an admin would start a new tournament, specify the rules and desired format, registration dates, etc. Users of the website are notified and register. After the registration period has ended the GM enters the results for each registrant, this data as well as the registration info gets used to display the results. Once the results are in, GM hits a button, results are posted and then you get something along the lines of this rendered in the page in SVG format (note: this is just sample data, none of these are real people):

5bOmxRw.png

We decided to roll with an SVG format for the output because there's all sorts of neat things you can do with it once it's embedded into the document, because it's essentially just XML. Specifically, we could do things like linking to a players profile by clicking on their name in the graph, or embedding form inputs directly in the graph itself. The site will be open to the public once it's ready (pricing might come later). If there's enough interest, we might decided to realease the tournament building component as a stand-alone module for others to use - but no promises.   :)

#16 Jemagee

Jemagee

Inspector

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

Noz

I am interested in this but my primary interest would be one of 'tournament contests' where users would 'fill out' how they think the tournament bracket would go - at least in sporting ways - i also might have some 'brackets' for voting on various posting ideas i have.  So I'd be intersted if this idea

#17 noz

noz

Signalman

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

Noz

I am interested in this but my primary interest would be one of 'tournament contests' where users would 'fill out' how they think the tournament bracket would go - at least in sporting ways - i also might have some 'brackets' for voting on various posting ideas i have.  So I'd be intersted if this idea

I imagine that the player registration component could easily be replaced with a list of static teams quite easily if we ever decided to go open source, it's all just data in the database after-all. If you ever try and implement this on your own and have questions along the way, feel free to send me a message. Unfortunately there weren't a lot of resources to reference for rails-specific implementations (or much else for that matter) when I did this, so we ran into a number of hiccups along the way, particularly the database design. Though, I think what you're interested in would be a little less challenging because there's a finite number of teams to model after and no registrations to worry about.

#18 james

james

Guard

• Moderators
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLeeds, U.K.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:19 PM

I'm stuck at home writing mobile phone apps with Rails websites to support them.

Currently writing a mobile phone app services website, mainly for my own apps but with the intention of opening up the commonly needed api's that mobile phone apps need as a service for other mobile developers.

Programming is just about problem solving!

#19 Jemagee

Jemagee

Inspector

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

I'm stuck at home writing mobile phone apps with Rails websites to support them.

Currently writing a mobile phone app services website, mainly for my own apps but with the intention of opening up the commonly needed api's that mobile phone apps need as a service for other mobile developers.

If you can write iphone apps, I believe there's a pretty big hole in the 'apple provided' ios that might warrant an app that could be very popular with people - it's pretty simple - in theory - an app that lets you name the photos you take (and do other stuff but the idea has always bothered me that you can't name your photos that you take with an iphone)

#20 Ohm

Ohm

Guard

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:39 AM

If you can write iphone apps, I believe there's a pretty big hole in the 'apple provided' ios that might warrant an app that could be very popular with people - it's pretty simple - in theory - an app that lets you name the photos you take (and do other stuff but the idea has always bothered me that you can't name your photos that you take with an iphone)

Whats the purpose of naming your photos? Would it be easier to find? Have you seen the new iPhoto layout in iOS 7?

Blog: http://ohm.sh | Twitter: madsohm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users