The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Why bundler? Why not bundler?

bundler gem ruby

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KyleMacey

KyleMacey

Passenger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

So, bundler has become to go-to option for dependency management and is a critical part of any Rails app. That's fine. But it's like saying you need ActiveRecord in order for your app to be considered a Rails app.

Let me preface this with: I have absolutely no problem with bundler. I use it all the time and it just works. It seems that in today's Rails world, you can't really develop without it.

But I want to know why there aren't any alternatives? Is the acceptance of bundler a way for the Rails community to stall on gem management?

Why do you like bundler? What don't you like about bundler? This post is more in the interest of conversation and brain-picking more than anything else, but I'd be interested to see if there are alternatives out there, and what things we could do to improve this significant part of our everyday lives.

Maybe it's just fine the way it is. Or maybe people out there wish it did more/less. 

Have at it.

#2 Rowel

Rowel

Controller

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

Was bundler *not* ever part of Rails?   I just became aware of Rails recently, and started my learning using ver.4.0.  So I really don't know anything how it's done before in 1.x, 2.x and 3.x Rails.  

All I know is if I add/remove a gem to your project, I need to run bundle update.  

What it specifically does behind the scenes, I don't know yet. 

#3 james

james

Guard

• Moderators
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLeeds, U.K.

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

If you are not using bundler you would just use the gem commands passing in arguments for the appropriate action, e.g. "gem install capistrano"

If you have just added 4 gems to your gem file and you need to install them all then it's much simpler just to run the bundle command.

It goes a little deeper than that. Bundler handles the gemfile.lock file so you can lock the current gemset, but in reality, bundler is a convenience method, saving you from having to install each gem manually.

• Rowel and Bharat Soni like this

Programming is just about problem solving!

#4 Bharat Soni

Bharat Soni

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAhmedabad

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

bundler handles the Gemfile and Gemfile.lock files more efficiently rather then us so, for getting faster response and updating the library of your application and manage you should always go through---------------------------------bundler

Fun with Ruby on Rails

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bundler, gem, ruby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users