The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Rails Version Tagging For Posts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tom

Tom

Signalman

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

I really have only one suggestion: mandate (or strongly encourage) posts to be tagged with a Rails version (or a tag like "not applicable to a version" if that's the case.) One of the things I find most frustrating when searcing for Rails topics is finding information that is relevent to older versions of rails but no longer applicable to what I'm using. Since Rails is a framework not afraid to break backwards compatability among major or minor versions (in fact this is the norm), having a version tag could be very useful in my opinion.

FWIW, StackOverflow seems to have a policy that assumes people will update their answers as new versions are released. From personal experience searching that site, I've found this seldom to be the case.

Anyway, not sure if others think this is important but it's something I think might be nice.

#2 Kelli Shaver

Kelli Shaver

Inspector

• Administrators
  • 75 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:40 PM

That's a good idea. We should probably sticky a thread at the top of the forums offering tips on how best to phrase questions, and we can definitely encourage tagging the post with the Rails version (or gem version, etc.). The built-in tagging in IPB should work nicely for that. :

#3 jefflunt

jefflunt

Passenger

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

The challenge with this is that it puts a lot of burden on the OP - not at the time of posting, but for updating it if their post is relevant to the then-current version of Rails, as well a new versions released afterward.

The best you can probably hope for is for OPs to mention the Rails version they're talking about at the time. It will still be up to the reader to figure out if it's still relevant, and by then it's the same problem you began with.

Besides, is there a way to mandate that a topic have at least one tag? If so, is there anyway to actually enforce what is essentially just a standing policy? How could a post know if a problem/question with a specific Rails version is actually being discussed?

These kinds of approaches are bound to break down pretty quickly, unless you're just hoping to promote a general rule. People just aren't this detail oriented in large numbers.

#4 Kelli Shaver

Kelli Shaver

Inspector

• Administrators
  • 75 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

Yeah, i don't think it can (or should) be enforced, simply encouraged.... but I do think it's a good idea to encourage it.

#5 MrPepper

MrPepper

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

Add it to the rules? 

When asking for help be sure to include.. X Y Z

#6 Tom

Tom

Signalman

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:55 AM

The challenge with this is that it puts a lot of burden on the OP - not at the time of posting, but for updating it if their post is relevant to the then-current version of Rails, as well a new versions released afterward.

You make a great point about updating tags for the future. I suppose in a lot of ways expecting someone to update a tag is on par with SO's idea of expecting people to update solutions -- it's unrealist. But I think having something is better than nothing. Even if it doesn't get updated, at least I can try to filter search results by the version I need (or by the close versions since they are more likely to be relevent).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users