The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Welcome to the new Rails Forum

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Adam

Adam

Inspector

• Administrators
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

When we launched Rails Forum in May 2006, Rails was just barely past 1.0. It was a fledgling framework with a head of steam, but not much widespread adoption. There weren't too many places to go for help outside of the official email lists -- even Stack Overflow was still two years away!

Once we opened the virtual doors to the forum, it was obvious immediately that it was filling a real need. An active community sprang up almost overnight, and grew to over 4,000 members and 24,000 posts in the first year. As Rails grew, so did the forum. 

Unfortunately, we didn't do a very good job of maintaining that community and it has been overrun by spam in recent years. That's unacceptable and we apologize for letting it happen. 

That's why today we're happy to announce that we're relaunching Rails Forum. We want the forum to get back to its roots. We want to be a useful resource that contributes positively to the Rails community again. We needed a clean slate. To that end, we've ported everything over to a more mature and secure software system, redesigned the site, and put in place a new moderation team.

Please pop in into the Introductions forum to say hello :)

We hope you'll join us and register for the new Rails Forum! Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have concerns or suggestions for serving you better.

• midwire, kjetil, Jamie and 1 other like this

Adam Cooke

from aTech Media - UK-based Ruby on Rails developers. 

Follow me on Twitter  •  Check out my code on GitHub  •  Take a look at my designs

#2 midwire

midwire

Passenger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

Looks great so far!  Glad you guys got around to rebuilding the forum.  It has been needed for a long time. 

#3 Ed Jones

Ed Jones

Passenger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

OSOM!

Looking forward to it. Thanks, and good luck!

Ed

#4 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

Passenger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

Good to see you back.  I joined the last forum very early on but drifted away over the years.  Let's try to make this new forum the best it can be and the most helpful it can be, so Rails  can gain new converts.  At the moment, the learning curve seems too steep for many.  

#5 konung

konung

Passenger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Sounds great. 

However if you can't import old data and topics, that would be a tragedy. There were a few times when old topics here helped me out, especially when I dealt with legacy systems ( Rails 1.2). Plus there are still a bunch of link on the internet point to various pages on the old forum, and now they will all be broken. Bad, bad, bad !   :angry:

Also it might be just me: but quick navigation doesn't work, and smiles take  almost a minute to load.  :wacko:

#6 Kelli Shaver

Kelli Shaver

Inspector

• Administrators
  • 75 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

Fear not! The old posts are still there, and cleaned up. There's a link to them on the top right of the index page. :)

http://archive.railsforum.com/

We've set up redirects for everything, so incoming links should still work.

#7 Adam

Adam

Inspector

• Administrators
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

Apologies for the speed issues. We are suffering a bit under heavy server load because of the e-mail we just sent out. We are looking at this and will do what we can to improve page load times.

• Jamie likes this

Adam Cooke

Follow me on Twitter  •  Check out my code on GitHub  •  Take a look at my designs

#8 Jamie

Jamie

Controller

• Moderators
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe UK

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

You don't know how happy I am about this

Bloody fantastic work!
Rails developer based in Newcastle, UK.
Web app owner - Twitter lover

#9 Funnyvibe

Funnyvibe

Signalman

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

Wonderful looking website.  Really looking forward to seeing what this community can grow into with a clean slate.

To the years ahead of us! #cheers

#10 alex

alex

Passenger

• Moderators
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

In case anyone's interested, I'm going to be writing a blog post soon about how we got rid of all the spam on the old forum. For now, enjoy http://archive.railsforum.com without the spam (hopefully!)

#11 Andre Dublin

Andre Dublin

Signalman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

Awesome, I'm glad rails forum is back!

#12 AstonJ

AstonJ

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

Nice to see Rails Forum back!

I actually toyed with the idea of putting up a forum at railschat.com a while back but decided against it in favour of a general Ruby forum instead.  Are you guys (or anyone here) interested in the railschat.com domain?

Any reason why you didn't go with Discourse? It's a Rails and Ember app - I am considering it for the Ruby forum I am thinking of starting up..

:)

#13 Adam

Adam

Inspector

• Administrators
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

Any reason why you didn't go with Discourse? It's a Rails and Ember app - I am considering it for the Ruby forum I am thinking of starting up..

We trialled Discourse but, in our opinion, wasn't really for a forum like us. It didn't have the flexibility or maturity which we needed. Having said that, as soon as a Rails-powered forum comes along which can compete with the alternatives, we will all over it and will make the switch in a flash.

In the meantime, we think IPB works very nicely and has a lovely UI to use.

• Jamie likes this

Adam Cooke

#14 Jamie

Jamie

Controller

• Moderators
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe UK

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

We trialled Discourse but, in our opinion, wasn't really for a forum like us. It didn't have the flexibility or maturity which we needed. Having said that, as soon as a Rails-powered forum comes along which can compete with the alternatives, we will all over it and will make the switch in a flash.

I agree with everything said here. IPB has great foundations and when a Rails-powered forum pops up be sure to let us all know!

Rails developer based in Newcastle, UK.
Web app owner - Twitter lover

#15 Kelli Shaver

Kelli Shaver

Inspector

• Administrators
  • 75 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

IPB has really come a long way since the last time I looked at it. I'm impressed. 

#16 goffley3

goffley3

Passenger

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBrockton, MA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

Looks really good, can't wait for this to be my go to site before going to stack overflow!!

#17 noz

noz

Signalman

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

Fantastic, I recall visiting Rails Forum a lot back when I was a newbie to the framework (though I still feel like a newbie even after a couple of years of working with it).

Looking forward to contributing to this new one.

P.S.,

Some breadcrumbs would work wonders!

#18 magnus

magnus

Passenger

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

Great news - and Thank You  :)

I'm new to Rails, so will probably have more questions then answers  ;)

#19 AstonJ

AstonJ

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Yeah, it's definitely not quite there yet - but probably ok for a new forum that doesn't need to make many changes or has to accommodate users of older forum platforms.

IPB is pretty neat with some good devs there (it's the management/policies that many have issue with). Xenforo is definitely worth a look - I think we'll be upgrading one of our oldest forums to that soon.

I agree with you about a Rails forum - where's Ryan with Forem!? :P

:)

#20 MrPepper

MrPepper

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

Glad to see the site is back up! Checked here 2 weeks ago and was just filled with spam and made me sad as I was getting back into Ruby / Rails.

Very happy to have just gotten this email about the forums being back up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users