The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Merge Tutorials and Getting Started?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AstonJ

AstonJ

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

Don't think they need to be separate sections - and generally people will think of tutorials when getting started (?)

:)

#2 jefflunt

jefflunt

Passenger

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:19 PM

Seems reasonable, but what is the purpose of the "Getting Started" section? Is it for n00b discussion? That's a bit different than static tutorials.

#3 Jamie

Jamie

Controller

• Moderators
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe UK

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

I'd say Getting Started could contain anything from getting started with bundler, specific gems, rake, rails, etc.. not specific to MVC or is a tutorial.

I guess this is why they are two different sections.

Rails developer based in Newcastle, UK.
Web app owner - Twitter lover

#4 Funnyvibe

Funnyvibe

Signalman

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

The tutorials section has the potential to address much more than just introductory material for new developers.  I feel like this is the optimal set up for even more seasoned users to come around and provide/indulge in more advanced and possibly experimental articles.

#5 AstonJ

AstonJ

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

I can see your point/s :)

How about expanding the Getting Started section then so it's not just limited to "installing the development environment"? It could then be used for other things such as threads on recommended reading for newbies, threads with basic tips, gotchas, etc.

Edited by AstonJ, 14 August 2013 - 10:04 PM.

#6 Jamie

Jamie

Controller

• Moderators
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe UK

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

I can see your point/s :)

How about expanding the Getting Started section then so it's not just limited to "installing the development environment"? It could then be used for other things such as threads on recommended reading for newbies, threads with basic tips, gotchas, etc.

I agree, possibly append '& Gems' to Tutorials?

Or introduce a 'General' forum inside the Rails category..

Edited by jamie, 14 August 2013 - 10:07 PM.

Rails developer based in Newcastle, UK.
Web app owner - Twitter lover

#7 Jemagee

Jemagee

Inspector

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

Maybe instead of 'merging' them you could make the tutorials a separate sub forum of getting started - tutorials should be 'posts' unto themselves with limited comments.  There could be a 'stickied' post within the getting started section to list good tutorials here (or other places, like the hartl thing) about getting started.  I think the getting started section would be a good place to ask question (separate from tutorials) and maybe meet other 'getting started folk' to work together with.

Maybe even having a 'group' design worked on together

Edit - as for gems

Are we talking tutorials for Gems?  Because that would be fine in the tutorials section - I love the ideas of gems but often the RDOCS don't go into enough detail (if someone wants to help me out understanding paperclip / carrierwave whichever and how to create links between them i'd be thrilled) often and finding tutorials can be difficult (though I do love railscasts - he performs at his level of knowledge sometimes and loses me).

Heck, I'd like a tutorial on how to make something you've built into a functional gem.  I'd like to create a 'tournament bracket' type gem but wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to go about it :)

Edited by Jemagee, 14 August 2013 - 10:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users