The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Too much SPAM!!!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rowel

Rowel

Controller

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

This forum is starting to lose the spam battle!  Too much spam! 

It seems very easy for spammers to register, get verified, and successfully post on this forum. 

#2 Jamie

Jamie

Controller

• Moderators
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe UK

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

We are aware of this and we are working hard to combat against it.

If you can report the user then that will be help us remove it quickly.

Do you have any suggestions for IPB spam protection?

:)

Rails developer based in Newcastle, UK.
Web app owner - Twitter lover

#3 Rowel

Rowel

Controller

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

No I don't have any IPB suggestion. :)  Honestly, never heard of IPB until I stumble upon this railsforum. 

On my phpbb board, I disabled the "original" signup link, and provided a "real" signup link (with a message, if you're a real human user, click here to register.)

For faster approval, I also ask a newly registered user to email me and confirm they're a real user (and interested) to join the forum. Spammers and bots (and troublesome users) won't bother doing that.  Also, bots that follow the "original" signup link provided by the phpbb forum, gets nowhere.  Bots try it, gets no response, and leave. 

#4 Jamie

Jamie

Controller

• Moderators
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe UK

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

The problem we face here is most of the sign-ups here occur on weekends and are actually humans. So whatever questions and spam fences we put up they will actually go through the motions to get those posts with links added.

It's a tough world. It's probably because this forum is on one of this spam lists for people given jobs to post X amount of posts in a day.

Sucks :(

#5 burmjohn

burmjohn

Passenger

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:02 AM

Use the stop forum spam plugin along with a challenge question. 

#6 Jamie

Jamie

Controller

• Moderators
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe UK

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

Use the stop forum spam plugin along with a challenge question. 

The problem with creating any challenges it prevents beginner users signing up because they don't know the basics on Rails yet which wouldn't be good.

Like I said above, most users are humans so they would just Google the answer to sign-up anyways.

#7 burmjohn

burmjohn

Passenger

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

The challenge question say Type "Blue" into the box next to this.   It does not have to be ruby related, I do it on my other IPB forums, works perfect along with IPB's spam monitoring and the stop forum spam plugin.

#8 Jamie

Jamie

Controller

• Moderators
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe UK

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

The challenge question say Type "Blue" into the box next to this.   It does not have to be ruby related, I do it on my other IPB forums, works perfect along with IPB's spam monitoring and the stop forum spam plugin.

That won't make any difference... Did you understand what I said above? SPAM mostly these days is paid work, so anyone can type Blue into the box and a half decent script can read these when there is automated spambots anyhoo.

#9 Rowel

Rowel

Controller

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

Jamie, the problem is the drive-by spamming.  

Some idiot spammer registers one throwaway account, and then craps 5-7 spam posts all over the board. 

Maybe limit newly registered users to only 1 post, until they can be manually "approved."   

Newly registered user will be limited to one post. 

They can use that one post to ask a question or introduce themselves, or post (1) spam.

#10 jack

jack

Signalman

• Moderators
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPoole

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

Maybe limit newly registered users to only 1 post, until they can be manually "approved."   

Newly registered user will be limited to one post.

This is a cool idea, but I have no idea if it is possible in IPB. Perhaps an admin can take a look.

#11 noz

noz

Signalman

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:06 PM

Speaking of spam, my account "Noz" has been banned for a while now. As I recall, I had made a post about a spam protection service and shared a link, I guess somebody skimmed the first couple of sentences and jumped the gun thinking it was a spam post and flagged me. I can still log in, but I can't really do much else, I've been blocked from posting.

Sent a message to one of the admins on twitter, and sent an email to the given forum community address but haven't heard back at all. Thought I would finally make a new account and post about this, hopefully a mod can resolve this.

#12 Jamie

Jamie

Controller

• Moderators
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe UK

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

I believe I tweeted you about this and never heard from you again about it.

I'll unblock your account :)

#13 AstonJ

AstonJ

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

We use a simple 'what topic is this site about?' human verification question. It cut spambots by about 95% overnight (we were getting hammered!).

The answers for this site would simply be: rails, ruby, ruby on rails, ror

:)

#14 Adam

Adam

Inspector

• Administrators
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

We have questions about Rails. They still get through, sadly :(

Adam Cooke

from aTech Media - UK-based Ruby on Rails developers. 

Follow me on Twitter  •  Check out my code on GitHub  •  Take a look at my designs

#15 MrPepper

MrPepper

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:51 AM

Unless you have a black list in place which checks against IPs before sign up its really tough. Only way is to just have active moderators. Spam will come regardless unless you have manual approval which still is hard to catch if its real people doing the spam. 

There is a few websites that check IPs every so many days against spam activity. But its hard to find a working / up to date system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users