The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Taking over a project

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gnits

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

I have a friend who has been paying someone to maintain an application they use to track a game they and now I play with them.

I have what I believe is the complete source code and wished to set up a copy of that code locally and get it running for the purposes of maintaining it.

I have a book on the way to learn the ruby itself (having mastered a number of scripting and lighter object languages (no c# or f# so far).

What I would like to know is that with the code, how can I determine what the project needs in terms of versions and paths to get it started and running?  I know from what few attempts I have tried that it is looking for a rails gem 2.3.12? or something like that.  It has been a week or so since I tried last and am looking to set up an environment.

I have begun to understand that something like RVM (which I have on a Rasbian (debian) device) or pik (if I could get it running on my windows machine) can help me model version environments to enable this.

Any suggestions would be greatly helpful.

#2 Gnits

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:57 AM

Bump, any suggestions at all?

#3 Ohm

• Moderators
  • 507 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:44 PM

The dependencies are all written in the Gemfile.lock-file, that's what it's there for. You don't need to worry about that.

Being Rails 2.3.12, you are probably looking at an older Ruby version as well. If the Gemfile or perhaps a .ruby-version-file has mention of a Ruby version, then you'll know exactly what the project was made for, if not, try Ruby 1.9.3 (note, this is not longer officially supported).

Once you get a Ruby installed, do the following (where PROJECT_FOLDER of course is your project folder):

$ gem install bundler
$ bundle install
$ rails server

This will install bundler for the current Ruby (if using things like RVM, rbenv or the like) as well as all the needed gems.

rails server will start the server and tell you on what port it's running (usually 3000)

If you get any errors here, you'll have something to go on.

Blog: http://ohm.sh | Twitter: @madsohm | Work: Lokalebasen.dk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users