The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

New laptop - Pro or Air?

laptop apple macbook pro air

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ohm

Ohm

Guard

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

My boss has agreed that I may purchase a new laptop for work. My "problem" now is, should I get a MacBook Air (13") or an MacBook Pro (13", non-retina)?

The only real difference in hardware will be the processor, as I plan on upgrading either to 8GB ram and minimum 128GB SSD.

My question to you guys is: Is the 1.3GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 processor in the MacBook Air enough for working with Rails or do I need to go with the 2.5GHz i5 or the 2.9 GHz i7 processor in the MacBook Pro?

Blog: http://ohm.sh | Twitter: madsohm

#2 Kelli Shaver

Kelli Shaver

Inspector

• Administrators
  • 75 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

I have an Air and it's fine. The SSD is where I noticed the biggest performance increase. That said, the Air is also not my main development machine. I think if it were, I would want the faster processor. If the Pro is an option and your boss is willing to spring for it, I'd go that route. 

#3 Ohm

Ohm

Guard

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

It is suppose to be my new main development machine.

I currently have an iMac (can't remember the specs on that one) but I'm going to be spending more time in meetings, which means that I would like a portable workstation.

I'm considering the Air because of the weight and smallness of it. I would go for the 13", because 11" just doesn't grant enough screen real estate. 

#4 Rowel

Rowel

Controller

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:40 AM

I guess if low weight is a top priority, and you'll just be running a text editor mostly, the i5 processor and MacAir will be just fine.   But if you'll be running other heavy-duty programs, (video, audio editing, 3d, cad, etc (which will benefit with 8 hyperthreading), then the i7 processor of the Pro wins.  

It sucks that there's no more 17" Macbook Pro and 15" is the biggest you can get now with a Pro nowadays. 

If you can keep your iMac, then go for the Air. If you have to give up your desktop iMac, I'd go with the Pro. 

#5 Funnyvibe

Funnyvibe

Signalman

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:45 AM

I live off of a mid-2011 13-inch macbook air with the 1.7 ghz i5, 4 gigs of RAM and a 256 gig ssd. It has always been enough for Rails purposes and I love the portability. That said, I would love one of the new slim macbook pros as an upgrade.

#6 Ohm

Ohm

Guard

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:16 AM

I won't be able to keep the iMac, sadly, however I'm not doing any heavy-duty work, such as rendering and editing audio. It's only for Rails development, so only a text editor, a database, a Rails server and a browser. I will also be looking at Photoshop files from time to time.

Low-weight isn't a top priority, however it would be nice to have, which is why I'm asking you guys whether or not you think I can "make do" with an Air.

#7 Funnyvibe

Funnyvibe

Signalman

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:05 AM

I just gave you testimony that I make a living off of one. =)

I'd say so.
  • Ohm likes this

#8 Ohm

Ohm

Guard

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

I just gave you testimony that I make a living off of one. =)

I'd say so.

Ahh, but why do you want to switch then?

I think with your comments that I could go for the MacBook Air. I might just swing by the local Mac store and check 'em both out, to see and feel the difference.

#9 antonsash

antonsash

Passenger

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationRussia, Blagovechensk

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

I have a Macbook Pro 13" (md313), and i think it's better choice for Rails develop than Macbook Air.

#10 Ohm

Ohm

Guard

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

I have a Macbook Pro 13" (md313), and i think it's better choice for Rails develop than Macbook Air.

Just subjective better choice or is there a reason why you would rather develop on a MacBook Pro?

#11 antonsash

antonsash

Passenger

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationRussia, Blagovechensk

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

Just subjective better choice or is there a reason why you would rather develop on a MacBook Pro?

It's subjective choice i think, but on my macbook pro rails 4 feel so good =)

#12 Funnyvibe

Funnyvibe

Signalman

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

It's purely subjective for me. Rails performance is about as good as it needs to be, but I also spend a lot of time in Android and iOS environments so the power would benefit me there. If your only concern is rails then the air will do the job just fine.

#13 MrPepper

MrPepper

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

I skimmed most of the comments and read some. But I would suggest the Pro over the Air.

For a living I fix Mac products and PCs. So I see a lot of MacBooks.. A big problem is the hinges break on them and the of choice in hardware. It is great for travel back and forth but the power you get with the Pro over the Air is best.

Ram and a SSD will def boost the speed and drive redundancy for traveling instead of having moving parts.

My opinion after working on macbooks is ( Pro > Air )

#14 Vito Botta

Vito Botta

Signalman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationEspoo, Finland

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

The Air should be fine for development but I think with the Pro you'd anyway see some difference e.g. with faster tests.

#15 Kevin

Kevin

Signalman

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

Vote for Macbook Pro.

Reasons : higher processor, faster processing. Rails consume large resource, currently I used core i3 2.5Ghz (it's not macbook though), and it's still too slow.

Beside rails process, the Firefox and Chrome would need large resource too. 

Unless you're a really patient person, choose Mac Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users