The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Hobby project. Give me some ideas. Please.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ohm

Ohm

Guard

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

I'm currently looking for a small hobby project and I want to try my luck with gem programming.

There seems to be a gem for anything out there.

If I were to create a gem for you guys, what gem do you want me to create? What functionality are you currently missing?

In short:

What should the gem do?

Blog: http://ohm.sh | Twitter: madsohm

#2 Jamie

Jamie

Controller

• Moderators
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe UK

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:09 PM

I thought about needing a gem the other day for car registration plates.

The ability to detect countries based on the input format and identify when the car was registered.

I know in some countries like Ireland the car registrations have no meaning behind them but you can clearly tell a car which has a plate on from Ireland than the UK.

But the UK has a format..

Does any other countries have a format?

Maybe a gem like this would be of some benefit to car buying/selling and autotrader websites?

Just an idea, you don't have to go with it but I needed something like this the other day - I didn't research for one though!

Rails developer based in Newcastle, UK.
Web app owner - Twitter lover

#3 jack

jack

Signalman

• Moderators
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPoole

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

This sounds pretty cool, but I don't know how extensive this kind of formatting is, especially with regards to location.

I know that plates from Jersey are in the format: J123456 and plates from Gurnsey follow the format: 12345.

In fact there's a fantastic wikipedia entry for this: http://en.wikipedia....eas_territories

#4 Ohm

Ohm

Guard

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

I thought about needing a gem the other day for car registration plates.

The ability to detect countries based on the input format and identify when the car was registered.

I know in some countries like Ireland the car registrations have no meaning behind them but you can clearly tell a car which has a plate on from Ireland than the UK.

But the UK has a format..

Does any other countries have a format?

Maybe a gem like this would be of some benefit to car buying/selling and autotrader websites?

Just an idea, you don't have to go with it but I needed something like this the other day - I didn't research for one though!

Ha! I showed my boss this post. He laughed as well.

I'm currently employed at a firm where we set peoples car repair work at auction. We have a third party firm that does the car registration plate lookup for us, however they too have told us that there are no real way of determining the country from just look at the license plate.

In Denmark we always have two letters and five digits, however, this is also true for some Norwegian license plates. We are also not limited to only two letters and five digits, as you are able to purchase a custom made license plate, e.g. with your name (or as was done for a commercial some time back, one for each weekday).

#5 Jamie

Jamie

Controller

• Moderators
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe UK

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

Ha! I showed my boss this post. He laughed as well.

I'm currently employed at a firm where we set peoples car repair work at auction. We have a third party firm that does the car registration plate lookup for us, however they too have told us that there are no real way of determining the country from just look at the license plate.

In Denmark we always have two letters and five digits, however, this is also true for some Norwegian license plates. We are also not limited to only two letters and five digits, as you are able to purchase a custom made license plate, e.g. with your name (or as was done for a commercial some time back, one for each weekday).

Hmm..

It sounds like if you did make this you'd have some pretty crazy ass database for storing all combinations.. It would be like recreating the PostCode/ZIP database the postal service owns.

Rails developer based in Newcastle, UK.
Web app owner - Twitter lover

#6 Rowel

Rowel

Controller

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

This would be nice if wrapped in a gem. 

Given: A database/model with LAT and LONG coordinates columns.

Requirements: A gem that accepts LAT/LONG (center point) pair of numbers and a Radius (km, miles, etc). 

Output:  Return all records in the database/model that are within the circle area @ center point of LAT/LONG and it's Radius. 

I have the formula (ASP, but should be straightforward to convert to Ruby) for the Distance* calculation between 2 coordinate LAT/LONG points. 

*distance = straight line, as the crow flies, not actual driving distance

#7 Ohm

Ohm

Guard

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:04 AM

This would be nice if wrapped in a gem. 

Given: A database/model with LAT and LONG coordinates columns.

Requirements: A gem that accepts LAT/LONG (center point) pair of numbers and a Radius (km, miles, etc). 

Output:  Return all records in the database/model that are within the circle area @ center point of LAT/LONG and it's Radius. 

I have the formula (ASP, but should be straightforward to convert to Ruby) for the Distance* calculation between 2 coordinate LAT/LONG points. 

*distance = straight line, as the crow flies, not actual driving distance

This sounds an awful lot like geokit https://github.com/geokit/geokit

• Rowel likes this

#8 Rowel

Rowel

Controller

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:10 AM

Cool.... glad something like this exists already :)

*Starring* this now.  

#9 Bharat Soni

Bharat Soni

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationAhmedabad

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

Cool.... glad something like this exists already :)

*Starring* this now.  

I have aware with geokit gem for distance find with LAT/LONG

Fun with Ruby on Rails

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users