The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Hello. I'm an ASP programmer trying to move to RoR

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rowel

Rowel

Controller

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

Hey all. I'm very new to Ruby/Rails and just started trying to teach myself about Ruby, Rails, etc... just this last July. 

I joined this forum to be around seasoned RoR developers, to learn from you guys, and maybe in the future contribute back to the community. 

I've been doing web dev since 1997 when I first started using FrontPage, then integrated Win-CGI built using Visual Basic, then graduated to ASP programming (now called Classic ASP), and SQL Server databases. - but I got  stuck here. Arrrgghhh!!!! 

I learned and dabbled with PHP and mySQL but felt they're just *nix equivalent to ASP and MSSQL.  Almost the same thing, just different commands and format. I know PHP >> ASP in a lot of areas but PHP didn't really excite me much to leave behind ASP as my main tool. 

I keep hearing about RoR in the news recently, so took a look at it and I liked it. Finally, something nice/modern/worthy to move on to!  And more importantly, something that got me EXCITED about web development again! 

These past couple of months have been a whirlwind, learned a lot of new stuff (new to me anyway), so hope to further advance my learning by being in this forum when I have questions, or get stuck with an RoR problem. 

Sorry for the long intro... :)

• james likes this

#2 Jamie

Jamie

Controller

• Moderators
  • 114 posts
  • LocationThe UK

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

Welcome to the forums :)

I learnt what I needed to know from Ryan Bates at http://railscasts.com and I'm sure it'll be a great resource for you. He used to be a member of this forum until it was restarted but I'm sure he'll be back after his vacation so that's a great resource to learn from, from a great helpful guy!

There's also places like teamtreehouse.com which is also a great resource to building your first Rails project.

Enjoy!

Happy riding rails!!

Rails developer based in Newcastle, UK.
Web app owner - Twitter lover

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users