The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

I want you guys to create a Rails Forum. In Rails.

ruby on rails forum forum software site suggestions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tom

Tom

Signalman

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for bringing back RailsForum. I used this site in the past but it became a disaster so I learned to avoid it. I think having a forum is a great idea especially because StackOverflow isn't a place that takes kindly to debates. I think this forum has the opportunity to bring a lot to the Rails community.

I am a little disapointed that I'm using a PHP forum to talk about Rails. I know Ruby and Rails doesn't have the sorts of resources that PHP does in terms of throw-it-up software but that does not mean you guys should just give up. Rails is about building web apps like forums after all -- this feels like wearing a White Sox jersey to a Cubs game. I'd love to see the RailsForum ownership take the initiative in creating an open source Ruby on Rails forum system that can take on all the big PHP names. I can't think of a better way to rebuild good-will and to get this forum out there to current and future Rails developers. It would also show a dedication to the Ruby on Rails community that has been, as you know, a bit lacking.

I know in another post you said you didn't have time. I'm not sure what deadline was the issue but it's not something that has to be done tomorrow.

I'm glad you guys are trying to bring this back and I hope it's fruitful for everyone.

• abimaelmartell and Eric-Guo like this

#2 jefflunt

jefflunt

Passenger

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

discourse is probably your best bet there.

However, I for one don't really care what the forum is written in so long as it works and the spam is kept under control. It's not like I'm going to be tinkering with the forum itself unless I was already into writing forum software. :)

#3 Doopey

Doopey

Passenger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for bringing back RailsForum. I used this site in the past but it became a disaster so I learned to avoid it. I think having a forum is a great idea especially because StackOverflow isn't a place that takes kindly to debates. I think this forum has the opportunity to bring a lot to the Rails community.

I am a little disapointed that I'm using a PHP forum to talk about Rails. I know Ruby and Rails doesn't have the sorts of resources that PHP does in terms of throw-it-up software but that does not mean you guys should just give up. Rails is about building web apps like forums after all -- this feels like wearing a White Sox jersey to a Cubs game. I'd love to see the RailsForum ownership take the initiative in creating an open source Ruby on Rails forum system that can take on all the big PHP names. I can't think of a better way to rebuild good-will and to get this forum out there to current and future Rails developers. It would also show a dedication to the Ruby on Rails community that has been, as you know, a bit lacking.

I know in another post you said you didn't have time. I'm not sure what deadline was the issue but it's not something that has to be done tomorrow.

I'm glad you guys are trying to bring this back and I hope it's fruitful for everyone.

Shut up

#4 Adam

Adam

Inspector

• Administrators
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

As we've mentioned in other threads, we'd love this to be a Rails-powered site however at the moment there isn't anything out there which can get up and running quickly.

Moderating the site alone takes quite a bit of time and all the team behind the site have full-time jobs so there's very little time to write one of our own. The IPB software we're using works very nicely and has all the features. As time goes on, Rails-powered software will continue to be developed and we may even look at our own in the future and should we have something suitable, we will switch over.

Adam Cooke

from aTech Media - UK-based Ruby on Rails developers. 

Follow me on Twitter  •  Check out my code on GitHub  •  Take a look at my designs

#5 noz

noz

Signalman

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

I used https://github.com/trevorturk/eldorado for the forums section for my web application. It's the most feature-packed rails forum application I could find, I haven't had time to check out the Discourse option some people are recommending just yet. Sadly, Eldorado is  no longer maintained, and it needed a lot of modifications to get it up and running in Rails 3, however. It's a good starting point if there's any interest, and it seems like there are a couple of 3.x forks available.

#6 Gabriel Mazetto

Gabriel Mazetto

Passenger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Please give discourse a try. It's made by the same guys of Stack Overflow... while it's most a javascript application, the backend is entirely in Rails, and they have a nice vision about how traditional forums are broken for today's use perspective.

They are investing a huge amount of time in things related to community building, moderation, anti-spam, etc.

You can see the "Discourse meta" as an example : http://meta.discourse.org/, and also see how it can be customized to help keeping your branding, by looking what the ubuntu guys done at the experimental "Ubuntu discourse" forum, that will someday superseed the forum software they are using today: http://ubuntu-discourse.org/

#7 AstonJ

AstonJ

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

The reason there aren't many Rails forum apps is because forums are usually not the best ft for a community site - custom sites - are. And what does Rails excel at? Custom sites!

I actually came to Rails because I was fed up of the restrictions of forum software - the vision for almost all my sites would be better served by custom websites. 

Nowadays I feel forums are best for forum websites- i.e domains that have forum in the name or the site is predominantly a forum, otherwise, I believe a custom site designed specifically for your community will best serve its needs.

Having said that, not everyone has time to code a custom site, and an off-the-shelf forum can be a really good second best.

:)

#8 james

james

Guard

• Moderators
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLeeds, U.K.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

It would be good to have a forum written in Rails.

I started a section on the old forum asking for help to develop an open source rails forum and got a few enthusuastic responses offering help but not the overwhelming support that I had hoped for but by then the old forum was so full of spam that most enthusiastic developers I think had all but given up on it so I'm not surprised at the lack of response.

I feel quite strongly that Adam and Josh should be thanked for getting this back up and running regardless of the platform used and there have been hints that it is still in the pipeline to develop a community forum in Rails but I wouldn't expect anything too soon.

Programming is just about problem solving!

#9 leondu

leondu

Passenger

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

Here is something might help, https://github.com/r...hina/ruby-china and it currently driving the ruby community in China with 8867 members.

It's

• Ruby
  • Solid
  • Fast
  • Active

We'd like contribute to this if you are interested.

#10 leondu

leondu

Passenger

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:16 AM

Here is something might help, https://github.com/r...hina/ruby-china and it currently driving the ruby community in China with 8867 members.

It's

• Ruby
  • Solid
  • Fast
  • Active

We'd like contribute to this if you are interested.

Sorry forget to mentioned the ruby-china site: http://ruby-china.org/

#11 leondu

leondu

Passenger

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:17 AM

OK, one more thing, from the Gemfile

gem "rails", "4.0.0"
:)

• Eric-Guo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic