The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

PostgreSQL vs MySQL

mysql postgresql database question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrPepper

MrPepper

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

I have been looking this up and have seen a few videos of exactly what this title of this says.. BUT

What is your opinions? What do you use for your apps? Stability?

#2 AstonJ

AstonJ

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:42 PM

Postgres - it's just really nice - secure, fast, n full of features :)

:)

#3 MrPepper

MrPepper

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:10 AM

I have seen a few videos of them two together.. was quite interesting as I have always used MySQL and turned away from PostgreSQL for no reason..

#4 Kelli Shaver

Kelli Shaver

Inspector

• Administrators
  • 75 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:14 AM

I prefer Postgres, but I usually end up using MySQL because most of the stuff I do gets deployed to an AWS stack and RDS does not support postgres. *muttergrumble*

#5 james

james

Guard

• Moderators
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLeeds, U.K.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

Oooh! Is this one of those mine is better than yours threads? Personally I prefer MySql but I think that is mainly because I worked for years with that horrible MS product that you are no doubt familiar with.

Actually Postgres has improved massively over the years and is now probably a better product (despite it's quirks) the MySql.

Having said that since the Oracle debacle and the buy out of the Sun Systems products (How can you buy open source stuff, Someone messed up big style with the licensing on that!) MySql seems to be going backwards rather than forwards and I'd like to put a vote in for MariaDB https://mariadb.org/ It seems to be going from strength to strength but not many hosting companies seem to be proviing this as an option yet, although I'm sure it will happen. Of course if you have a host that'll allow you to provision your own database then it's gotta be worth looking at.

• Jamie likes this

Programming is just about problem solving!

#6 Funnyvibe

Funnyvibe

Signalman

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:36 AM

For the most part from a typical rails developer point of view, you really rarely will notice the difference between the two products from an api standpoint. It really depends on the environment you are deploying in. Even so, all of my projects run on postgres and could easily be configured for mysql in a heart beat. And the majority of them actually have in the past before I was graced with heroku. This really comes down to a different strokes for different folks discussion that doesn't make a difference in this humble developers opinion. Sure there are political aspects to consider, but in the real working world you really just have to learn to work with and love both. =) Oh and that being said, postgres has always been more stable for me, but less supported.

#7 mark horrocks

mark horrocks

Passenger

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

I like postgres and used it for over 5 years now. I recently changed servers and was easily able to migrate my data to my new server with this single command.

pg_dump -C -h localhost -U postgres myapp_production | psql -h 111.22.33.44 -U postgres myapp_production

• james likes this

#8 james

james

Guard

• Moderators
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLeeds, U.K.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:32 AM

Welcome back to the forum Mark :)

Programming is just about problem solving!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mysql, postgresql, database, question

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users