The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Hardest part of running a RoR web development shop?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Phonon

Phonon

Passenger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

For those of you running a RoR web development shop, I'm curious as to what are your biggest challenges?  (i.e. what do you worry about when you wake up in the morning?)  What makes those challenges particularly difficult?

Is it finding contracts?  Developers?  Getting the job done?  Making a profit on a contract? etc.

Cheers,

Andrew

#2 Ohm

Ohm

Driver

• Moderators
  • 479 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

When you say "development shop", you mean like consultant?

I currently work at a place where the main app is Rails, but we also do some back-end systems in Go, Erlang and the like. It really fun and challenging.

My main concern when I wake up is if I'm going to have fun today.  B)

Blog: http://ohm.sh | Twitter: @madsohm | Work: Lokalebasen.dk

#3 Keith

Keith

Passenger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:25 AM

The hardest part of running a ROR shop is integrating outside work with an inside idea. You are either a startup and should call yourself that or you are a straight forward shop open to take contracts. If you are a startup with ideas of your own, that is very hard to integrate with outside work.

I know this is a serious problem because I have hired ROR shops to work for me but they never really have gumption or passion for the job. Their head is some other place. This is why I am working to build my own ROR team for a single technology idea. It is too hard any other way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users