The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Advanced Tutorials

ajax control panel

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jimbollu

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

Hi All. I think I know pretty much everything there is to know about how to use Rails. 100% of the terminology. 

However, I struggle when it comes to making more complex sites. Why? Because the uncountable billions of tutorials I've watched/read are pretty basic, and all of them only briefly touch on ajax. 

If I were to read some advanced tutorials, I'm sure all of my knowledge would fall into place. However I can't find any! They're all basic, all introductory. Looking at the contents pages of so called 'advanced' books seem to imply the 'advanced' tutorials cover RESTful architecture and MVC, just stuff I know in my sleep.

I love learning from actual projects. Learning terminology or what aspects of rails are in isolation just doesn't help me at all. 

I want a huge, detailed tutorial on

• How to build a forum
  • '' a social network (a real deal facebook-esque one)
  • '' videosharing site
  • An upload manager with upload bar (like on this site)
  • '' a file conversion site (Although maybe Rails isn't the framework for that)
  • " A github clone. (Gitlab is already on RoR)
  • " A CMS
  • ... as well as vast and intricate control panels for all of these things. A control panel like this:

Screenshot from 2014-06-16 14:10:33.png

I assume we'd use AJAX requests and JSON routes to retrieve this information, but I've yet to see a tutorial, and I have no idea how the javascript would look. And I'm fed up of using my intuition only to realise I've wasted weeks and I've been barking up the wrong tree. I mean I say AJAX and JSON, but maybe websockets should be used instead. I need guidance on how to use my knowledge, not pure knowledge.

Some of this may be more Javascript rather than Rails, but even so Rails is deeply involved in all of my ideas and I can't believe how sparse the resources are out there. 

This site:

Appears to use some ungodly union of ASP and Flash (based on the URL, nothing more), but I'd love to be able to create something like this with Rails and AJAX (only as a practise project). I'm sure I could give it a very good try, but I'm concerned that by the end I'll either have a poorly-organised project / halfway through I'll have to scrap everything because I've realised there's a far better way to do things.

Apologies if I sound annoyed it's just I've been the last 4 months looking for advanced tutorials and just now I've just snapped because there is NOTHING. 

• Jimbollu and ahnbizcad like this

#2 ahnbizcad

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:28 PM

I think you've really found a gap in demand.

I don't know of any, and I don't suspect there are any. This is senior level, enterprise, what=people-pay-thousands-for kind of apps. But I suppose if you decide to go for it, it will be a huge hit.

I also feel intermediate level tutorials are quite lacking as well.

Just some thoughts as to why this is happening, is there comes a point of self-sufficiency and self-learning. Now I understand going through tutorials also count as self-learning, but I think there is just less need or time to cater to that audience. If you can get someone to the point of being able ot read source code, then I think the reasoning is they can figure out how to make things on their own. You also learn by doing, which is typically in a company.

Anyway, I'd be very interested in those kinds of app tutorials as well. Sadly, I think for now, you just have to figure them out piece by piece, network with people to build it together after hours, or start it yourself.

#3 Ohm

• Moderators
  • 498 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:16 PM

What is it that you hope to see in an "Advanced Tutorial" as oppose to a basic one?

Yes, you could use AJAX and JSON request, but that's unfortunately just not very Rails. We allow for the JSON-routes, so that your front-end framework (e.g. AngularJS, Ember.js, Backbone.js, KnockoutJS, etc.) can use the Rails routes for data, but then the front-end framework takes over and does the rest of the work.

I use the built-in AJAX calls all the time, but they are not very "Advanced", it's only adding 

remote: true

to your link-helper and then adding a JS-file to respond with, instead of a HTML-file.

You also mention websockets, but do know that Rails doesn't support websockets out-of-the-box, you'll have to include some gem (e.g. https://github.com/ngauthier/tubesock) for that, and I'd guess that they'll have your tutorial then.

Blog: http://ohm.sh | Twitter: @madsohm | Work: Lokalebasen.dk

#4 vinylova

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

I agree, that as you can find quite a lot of 'beginners level' resources, more advanced tutorials are not so easy to find. From a resource list available at Boost Your Ruby Skills, places to follow for more adv things :

1. Confreaks Videos
  2. Awesome Ruby
  3. Ruby Steps
  4. Ruby Rogues
  5. Ruby5
  6. Ruby Weekly
  7. Ruby Tapas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users