The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Hello - aspiring web/app developer, NY

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bucifer

bucifer

Passenger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

Hello, everyone.

I heard a lot about the helpful Rails/Ruby community and wanted to be a part of it (I do need a lot of help!)

I'm a mid-career changer in my mid-20s coming from a background in marketing and sales. 

I am in the process of taking time off my day-job to teach myself enough skills to become a full-stack web developer.

Basically studying from 9AM to 9PM everyday for at least the next 2-3 months. 

Right now, I am fairly comfortable with basics of front-end web design, JavaScript, Java (Android/Eclipse). I skimmed the basics of Python and Ruby. 

I've been teaching myself little by little over the past few years ... but I didn't get serious about web development until about March of 2014. 

I am just having a tough time learning Rails. I'm going through few tutorials here and there but it will def take time before I will be able to "apply" what I am learning from those tutorials.

(I'm guessing Michael Hartl's tutorial is not for pure newbies because wow, that was tough to go through it all ... although I did learn a lot, my head is aching from all that information) 

I'm just typing away and struggling to understand what each step means, etc, and will be diving deep into Rails for the next few months, hopefully getting a sense of all these concepts I don't understand like Node.js, Backbone, Ajax, SQL and etc.

Odin Project looks like a savior ... and will be following their curriculum over the next 3-4 weeks. 

Thank you so much. 

Looking forward to meeting you all!! If there's others in the similar situation who are trying to teach themselves (kinda mid-career changers), let's go through it together!! 

Sincerely,

bucifer

#2 WendyBeth

WendyBeth

Passenger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:22 AM

Hi,

I kind of know what you're going through. Coming from baking, though. Hopefully that's not too far of a leap. Young enough to feel OK about changing my decision, old enough (and with enough debt, blargh) to think more school probably isn't the answer right now (if ever).

Anyway, I went through Michael Hartl's tutorial as well and, yeah, my head is still hurting. I feel you.

Have you checked out the Railsbridge curriculum? I've been going through it by myself because there are no developers I know how to access in my area. I've got one friend who's a CS major but every time we make plans to go through it together the plans fall through. Anyway, the curriculum is designed for a group, and if you wanted to look through it and have a learning partner, I'm in dire need of more brainpower we could talk learning.

Always on the look out for more tutorials, resources, et cetera, and in the meantime trying to develop a web application on my own that uses what I'm learning from multiple sources. I'm usually only focused on this for about five/six hours a day, but my dayjob is transcribing Confreaks videos (also a hugely immensely useful resource) so there's a lot to learn from that, too.

-Happy coding!

P.S. Have not run across Odin Project. That looks... unbelievably like what I'm looking for. Thanks for mentioning it. :)

#3 lisastokes

lisastokes

Passenger

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:25 AM

Hi bucifer,

I can somewhat relate to you too. I changed my field from a history student to a web developer and it is quite a leap. Fortunately enough, I got the internship in a reputed web development company in New York and this is helping me a lot. Ruby on Rails is really complex. I also have become quite comfortable with Node.js and the front-end part like Javascript, PHP, Android etc. but ruby is a tough nut to crack. I did go through the Hartl's tutorial but much of the information went from above my head. Too much of information for a newbie to digest! I wish you all the luck with your studies.

@Wendy - Your leap from baking to web development amazes me! Quite a long jump!

'If you were coding in Ruby, you'd be home by now!' - A passionate web developer newbie doing my internship with a reputed web development company in NY.

#4 lisastokes

lisastokes

Passenger

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:34 AM

It would be a great help if we could share and discuss some tutorials over here. I have been writing blogs about web design and development off lately. It would be great if you guys could chekc that out and give your feedback. Blogging destresses me a bit because learning ruby on rails is a big task!

#5 jefflunt

jefflunt

Guard

• Moderators
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:55 PM

Welcom bucifer! I'm just getting into marketing (with software as an automation tool). Welcome to the rails world!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users