The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Tutorials seem unreliable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Flying Geese

Flying Geese

Passenger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:26 PM

I have been on Lynda.com doing the Rails Essential Training by Kevin Skoglund. I have noticed that there have been some updates since they uploaded that tutorial. I spent several days trying to install the IDE, rails, mysql2 gem, etc. I had to figure it out on my own.

Now that I have everything set up, I am following the tutorial and every now and then the results just don't match up. It's getting quite annoying. I am starting to be afraid that I am learning rails the wrong way and that by the time I finish all my training (next week) I will only have a bunch of outdated/useless information.

There are about 100 videos and so far I get a different result every other video. It's taking me a very long time just to solve all these problems.

ps. the tutorial video is done on a mac. I use windows. Does that make a big difference?

Where can I find reliable rails tutorials that are up to date?

#2 Flying Geese

Flying Geese

Passenger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

PS. I already know about Michael Hartl's Ruby on Rails tutorial. I plan on doing that next week. But anything besides that I would like to be informed! Thanks!

#3 patmdev

patmdev

Passenger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:54 AM

I know what you mean, as I started on my RoR adventure last year.  Some advice I would give a  new rubyist is take things one resource at a time and try not to jump around too much. You will may often get different results in tutorials as version changes sometimes effect behaviors of code.  I never did the Lynda program, but I did Hartl's tutorial, so in regards to that program... eh it added on to the foundation I needed to get started and get better.  I'll let you know ahead of time even in that tutorial you'll find yourself here or on stackoverflow.com quite a bit looking for the answers to why something isn't working.  All in all you just have to take it in stride, build a foundation and then move to more precise topics or actions to really hone the skill.  Pick a website to copy and code it all yourself to really get some good practice.  As a last piece of advice if you're serious about developing in RoR, ditch Windows or at the least dual-boot your system.  There is a lot more information and help if you run Linux or OSx.  My RoR learnign track started with Peter Cooper's Beginning Ruby, then Hartl's tutorial, lots of Railscasts and Youtube, and The Rails View by Athayde and Williams (Good book I  might add, but don't jump to that finish a tutorial or two before you read that.)  Hope that helps.

#4 Flying Geese

Flying Geese

Passenger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for answering Pat. Some time after this post I ended up successfully installing rails and all dependencies on Windows. Later my laptop fried. So when i had to reinstall rails (which took an insane amount of time the first go-round) I looked to the community for help again. Their advice? Run linux.

First time installing rails on windows => 60-something hours (no sleep due to frustration) which I happened to be documenting

First time installing rails on Linux => 20 minutes

Needless to say, I just know better now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users