The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Running ruby on local server (MAC)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ticampos

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

First i wanna start saying that im really really really new in ruby and in programming in general. 

Last year a company build a webpage for me based on ruby on rails (www.ligasiete.cl). After they finished i needed to do some changes in the HTML so i started doing them direct from the server using Filezilla. Yesterday the webpage had a problem so they push the last version of the repository into the server so i lost all the changes that i had done. So i decided to download the repository into my computer so i could do all the changes local and then upload them into the server. The only problem is that i couldn't see the local version of the webpage because i didn't have RoR installed. Last night i followed this guide: http://railsapps.git...nrails-mac.html so i think that im all done with it. 

Now i need to actually see the webpage in local so i know if the changes that im doing are working. How can i do that ? I have the repository on my computer. I was used to use MAMP but reading i realized that it doesnt work for RoR? 

Thank you very much!

Greetings from Chile

#2 Alain ANDRE

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBordeaux

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

Hi, if you installed RoR correctly, you should be able to launch your app in local. You must go inside the directory of your repository and see the file used to launch the server of your app. The command to do that if they changed nothing is

rails server

But if it runs in production, they probably have changed it. Look inside the Gemfile file to see if there is a unicorn gem. If so you must have a unicorn file in the config folder.

If nothing works, start to install the gems to see if you environment is ok.

bundle install

Hope it helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users