The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Should I take a DevOps or Ruby on Rails Developer role?

Career DevOps Entry Level Advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alphajackson3

alphajackson3

Passenger

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

I'm currently about to enter the exciting world of professional software development. I already have a degree in finance and in a few weeks I will have my CS degree. I'm currently looking for jobs and I was just wondering what direction I should take. For the past year or so I had my heart set on being a ruby on rails developer so I started learning the language and framework, but finding an entry level position is challenging. I recently had an interview for a DevOps role that went fairly well. At first I was a little put off by the fact that it was not a ROR dev role, but the manager said that there would be some rails development to do. I'm assuming that rails wont be the primary focus since there will be a bunch of other technologies being used. After doing some research on the whole Devops thing I'm starting to get the inkling thats this is a major paradigm shift in how software is developed. Since Devops might be the future of development it might behoove me to get in and get experience with it. Either way I'm at a cross roads in a sense so I was wondering if anyone has any useful advice. Thanks

#2 james

james

Guard

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationLeeds, U.K.

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:26 PM

That is totally impossible to answer.

Rolls in I.T. can be very boring or they can be extremely challenging and exciting, it doesn;t matter what the technologies are, it it is an exciting roll that you would love to do then go for it :) If it is a roll that enables you to enjoy your work without too much of a challenge so you can spend your weekends at home with your family but still enjoy your work then that's cool too!

I've had experience of both and both have suited me in various times through my life.

Just take a job and see where it leads and find out what you enjoy, you are fortunate enough to have an opportunity at all, it's very tough job market here in the U.K. right now, don;t what it's like where you are

Programming is just about problem solving!

#3 alphajackson3

alphajackson3

Passenger

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

@james thanks for the response. Over all my long term goal is to be a rails developer, I guess what I'm am trying to infer is if taking a Devops role will get me off to a bad start.

#4 james

james

Guard

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationLeeds, U.K.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:07 AM

Seriously it is impossible to answer that, it may be good for you or it may not be.

Any I.T. experience you get will stand you in good stead for other I.T. rolls. If I were looking for a Rails Developer I would either want one that was a junior I could train or I would want one on a higher salary that could hit the groung running so a devop with only a little Rails experience might not interest me, however it might make you more employable if however I felt you had a good grounding in others areas that would also prove useful, but as I am not employing you and as I have no idea what the dev ops roll is, or who you are and I have no idea what RoR rolls you are likely to be going for then I can't and shouldn't advise you and anyone who thinks they can either has a crystal ball or is an utter fool.

I have been in the position of needing to hire 20 Delphi Developers, fast! If you had come to me with only a years Delphi experience I would have found you a roll, we drained the market over night. In another organisation I needed 2 Delphi developers but the company would only entertain highly experienced dev's.

You are at the beginning of your I.T. career, it will most likely take you 5 or 6 years to truly understand the rolls you enjoy the most. If you get the Devops job, it might take you longer to get a roll as a Rails Developer or it might not! I could argue that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and to suggest you go for it, you never know, you might find that what you end up doing will give you a variety and depth of experience that few other developers ever get and may well stand you in superb position in the future! Or you might hate it! You may get exposure to operating systems that are unusual that may put you in demand and command a higher salary in the future.

As a junior dev I started out on Honeywell Bull main frames running GCOS using tapes (I mean the big reels) when a 1mb HDD was worth £1,500 and we had one of the first 10mb HDD's in the U.K. with clients with budgets of millions and an ICL ticker tape box writing COBOL ANSI 75 apps, I could earn a fortune now with that experience but that was 25 years ago.

What I am trying to say is that there is no such thing as wasted I.T. experience and you must make up your own mind.

Programming is just about problem solving!

#5 alphajackson3

alphajackson3

Passenger

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

Thank your for that perspective, I will take your words into consideration.

#6 lisastokes

lisastokes

Passenger

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:31 AM

I feel that you should not let go off a opportunity that has landed in your hands. DevOps is not a bad field to start with. Finding an entry level RoR job will be tough unless you have some experience in software development. I would recommebd you to take the job. It would be a learning experience at least and it might be that you would get to learn more about rails during this period.

'If you were coding in Ruby, you'd be home by now!' - A passionate web developer newbie doing my internship with a reputed web development company in NY.

#7 jefflunt

jefflunt

Guard

• Moderators
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:04 PM

Agree with @lisastokes - you can transition to Rails (or whatever new hotness in a couple more years). A fear that taking one opportunity will close off future ones isn't necessarily founded.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Career, DevOps, Entry Level, Advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users