The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Best way to learn Rails?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AstonJ

AstonJ

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

When I first started out, I asked that question a lot. I just wanted someone to say, look do this this and this, then this this and this - a bit like a step-by-step, but one that would work. I didn't find one, but did get to speak to lots of prominent Rails folk and took on-board their advice... and promised myself I would do such a guide for anyone else serious about learning Ruby and Rails.

So here it is: Best way to learn Rails I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

(I'm not sure if it still is, but it used to be returned with the !Learn factoid in the official Rails chat room - just adding that in case you're wondering whether it's a good guide to follow or not)

Please feel free to add your own tips on learning Rails :)

• Tom, MrPepper and patrickmaciel like this

:)

#2 Tom

Tom

Signalman

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

I love your advice to learn Ruby first. I don't understand how anyone can learn Rails without knowing Ruby well. You're just tying yourself down and wasting time that way. Also, using many resources is important as well. This is definetely the best "lesson plan" I've seen. Well done!

• AstonJ likes this

#3 Funnyvibe

Funnyvibe

Signalman

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:23 AM

I used the pragprog books mentioned in your article to learn both ruby and rails. I can attest that they are pretty much the best books out there for new developers that learn the best through performing the task. They remind me a lot of a book that I used way back in the day to learn basic, something to the effect of "learning basic through applications." if there's anything I can emphasize enough though, it's to learn to read and apply documentation. Rails is a great place to start for that. All in all great article and advice for newcomers.
  • AstonJ and james like this

#4 MrPepper

MrPepper

Dispatcher

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:27 AM

This should be pinned, some very good info as its hard to find a decent article or source to know where to start.

• AstonJ likes this

#5 Rowel

Rowel

Controller

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

This blog post got me pointed in the right direction in this journey.

and yes.... +1000 for learning Ruby first before Rails (especially classes, hashes, iterators and codeblocks) 

https://medium.com/h...ls/e08c94e2a51e

• AstonJ likes this

#6 smithkhan

smithkhan

Passenger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for nice contribute 

• AstonJ likes this

#7 levberlin

levberlin

Passenger

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

It's important to find some sort of mentor as well, whether it's through IRC, the forums, a coworker. Lots of sites are trying to connect new developers with more experienced ones to share knowledge and learn faster through videochat, screensharing and remote pairing. I'm working on one called www.onscreenexpert.com. There are others too, like www.airpair.com and www.codementor.io. Pretty cool to have access to experts like this.

#8 castig

castig

Passenger

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:33 AM

You should definitely check out One Month Rails onemonthrails.com, after that CodeSchool is pretty great for getting deeper into the Rails/RSPEC etc. 

#9 Kevin

Kevin

Signalman

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

learning by doing , for myself is the fastest way to learn. I learned Rails while jumping into my first Rails project. Read the codes, open docs, follow it, read again, look for some references which usually stumbled me on SO site lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users