The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Account lost

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MusikAnimal

MusikAnimal

Passenger

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

Got the email about the revamped site, it opens with "Hello MusikAnimal", anyways, I try to login – no dice. Try to reset password – got an error. Then went to login with Twitter (same email), and it thinks it's a different account. So I created a new one and low and behold, MusikAnimal is available. Weird! I guess my old account was lost? Not a big deal to me actually, but thought I should let you know.

The site otherwise looks great, nice new feel. However, I'm sure you've heard this already, but I'm a little disappointed you didn't move to Rails... Hey, to each his own, I guess!  ;)

Last, a little confused you are still claiming XHTML 1.0 Transitional status. You have a HTML5 doctype so what's the need? Just a friendly thought.

Cheers

#2 Josh Catone

Josh Catone

Signalman

• Administrators
  • 22 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

Hi MusikAnimal,

We decided to start with a completely clean slate, which meant the starting fresh with the user database, as well. (For a number of reasons, we didn't want to just port over the old database, one of the major ones being that there were a large amount of spam accounts cluttering it up.) So everyone will need to create a new account (or sign in via Twitter or Facebook).

We did, however, email all our old members using the names we had on file for them. Sorry for the confusion!

I'll let Adam or someone else from aTechMedia (who are hosting/sponsoring the forum and designed the lovely new theme) answer the question about the doctype.

Josh Catone
I help run this place.

#3 Adam

Adam

Inspector

• Administrators
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

We would have loved to use a Rails-based product to run the site however we simply couldn't find one which was mature and stable enough to use at the moment. We were looking at writing our own for the site but time simply did not allow. Having said that, should a Rails-powered forum be able to complete with the software we're using, we will switch over in a flash!

I am unsure where we are claiming XHTML 1.0 Transitional status. Could you point in the right direction?

Adam Cooke

from aTech Media - UK-based Ruby on Rails developers. 

Follow me on Twitter  •  Check out my code on GitHub  •  Take a look at my designs

#4 MusikAnimal

MusikAnimal

Passenger

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

Hmm... I'm not sure either! I use BuiltWith technology profiler, which is usually point on. Viewed the Railsforum source and I see no evidence of XHTML 1.0 Trans. False alarm!  :P

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users