The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

reference guide for rails-2.2.3?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MgFrobozz

MgFrobozz

Passenger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

rails-2.2 newbie question:

I need to install a rails apps on a hosting site that provides only ruby 1.8.7 and rails-2.2.3. 

"gem install rails" (to my local GEM_PATH) won't install because it requires ruby-1.9.3 or later.

I can't sudo-install a newer ruby.

Long story short: functionality of the pages broke because "provide" was added after rails-2.2.x. I didn't realize that at first, and wasted a lot of time trying to determine the nature of the problem via the long stack-dump provided. After I twigged to the idea "new construct", I eventually found "content_for", replaced all of the "provide" calls, and now it works ok. Yes, I realize that "provide" and "content_for" are not exact equivalents.

Is there a rails-2.2.x-specific reference book or reference url? That would allow me to more efficiently sift through all the rails-4.0.2 functions I'm using, and replace them with backward-compatible functions.

Even better yet: is there a gem I could install that would translate rails-4.0.2 functions to rails-2.2.3 functions, so that I don't have to edit all of the pages again? 

What's the general rails technique for dealing with this issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users