The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Getting started with Rails...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 icecold726

icecold726

Passenger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

Hello all!

This is a very exciting time for me because I'm beginning to learn rails (yay!).  I have some good resources (Michael Hartl's book & screencasts, onemonthrails, and a treehouse subscription).  However, before I get started, I'd like everyones expert opinion on what else I should learn before I begin learning rails.  

As a background, I'm very very new to programming.  I know HTML, have some knowledge of CSS, but that is it.  I'm a lawyer by trade but would like to learn rails in order to build a minimum viable product of a web application idea I have (and possibly one day transition into a developer role, maybe if i get to learn enough).  

So my question is, should i learn HTML/CSS/RUBY/anything else before I begin the rails learning (keep in mind, i just want to build an MVP right now).

Thanks all!!

#2 Ohm

Ohm

Guard

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:19 AM

Before even starting with Rails, I would suggest you look into the programming language, Ruby, first.

Here's a quick 15 min introduction:

http://tryruby.org/l.../1/challenges/0

As Ruby is the programming language you'll be using, it only makes sense to learn that, and the transition into the framework, Rails, afterwards.

Blog: http://ohm.sh | Twitter: madsohm

#3 keaglin

keaglin

Passenger

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

I'm no expert, but I've starting reading more than one beginner's tutorial where they advise if you wanna learn Rails, learn Rails. It's a flavor of Ruby, so to speak. Just don't be lazy. If you don't understand, look it up or make a note & come back to make sure you understand. Stack Overflow and the websites for the Rails and Ruby APIs are good places to start if you get stuck/want to do further reading. And of course Google is your friend. Check the dates on your solutions though! Outdated info is sure to be abound.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users