The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Getting started with Rails...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 icecold726

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

Hello all!

This is a very exciting time for me because I'm beginning to learn rails (yay!).  I have some good resources (Michael Hartl's book & screencasts, onemonthrails, and a treehouse subscription).  However, before I get started, I'd like everyones expert opinion on what else I should learn before I begin learning rails.  

As a background, I'm very very new to programming.  I know HTML, have some knowledge of CSS, but that is it.  I'm a lawyer by trade but would like to learn rails in order to build a minimum viable product of a web application idea I have (and possibly one day transition into a developer role, maybe if i get to learn enough).  

So my question is, should i learn HTML/CSS/RUBY/anything else before I begin the rails learning (keep in mind, i just want to build an MVP right now).

Thanks all!!

#2 Ohm

• Moderators
  • 507 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:19 AM

Before even starting with Rails, I would suggest you look into the programming language, Ruby, first.

Here's a quick 15 min introduction:

As Ruby is the programming language you'll be using, it only makes sense to learn that, and the transition into the framework, Rails, afterwards.

• ajaysahu likes this

Blog: http://ohm.sh | Twitter: @madsohm | Work: Lokalebasen.dk

#3 keaglin

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

I'm no expert, but I've starting reading more than one beginner's tutorial where they advise if you wanna learn Rails, learn Rails. It's a flavor of Ruby, so to speak. Just don't be lazy. If you don't understand, look it up or make a note & come back to make sure you understand. Stack Overflow and the websites for the Rails and Ruby APIs are good places to start if you get stuck/want to do further reading. And of course Google is your friend. Check the dates on your solutions though! Outdated info is sure to be abound.

#4 alexokolish

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:57 PM

I have been coding for about six years and am mostly self taught. I agree with Ohm, you should learn some ruby and general programming concepts first.

Rails tutorials are fine to start out with. You'll just be typing and doing exactly what they tell you to do. In order to build your own thing, you'll have to know all of the things you mentioned (ruby, html, css, and more!).

Here's a post I wrote with more detail on how I suggest learning rails - http://aokolish.me/b...ted-with-rails/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users