The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

Questions regarding Paas, Hosting....etc

rails deploy hosting paas

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jim_2002

jim_2002

Signalman

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:22 AM

Hi everyone

I'm new to rails and web development. I got some questions regarding Paas, Hosting and SaaS

What exactly are Paas, Hosting and SaaS ?  What are the differences ?

I understand that you can deploy apps to heroku(and they will give you a domain name, something like example.herokuapp.com) but heroku doesn't seem to have a place that I can buy domain names like godaddy?

Do I buy domain names from Godaddy or other Hostings(webhostinghub.com) and then transfer them to Heroku/other Paas ? How does it work ? I don't understand.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

ps: Merry Christmas

#2 Ohm

Ohm

Guard

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

Let us define the three terms, so we have a better understanding for the discussion.

• PaaS: Platform as a Service
    • Everything in one box. You have your web server, data center, image processing, mail server etc. combined
  • SaaS: Software as a Service
    • One of the elements in the PaaS. Could be a mail service which lives in the cloud (like MailChimp) or a data center (like Amazon S3)
  • Hosting
    • Usually a server which can process your back-end code and produce some HTML, CSS and JS. GoDaddy do sell hosting services, however you can opt-out of these and only purchase the domain name if you'd like

When you buy the domain, make sure you're not also paying for a hosting service, if you want to use Herokus PaaS.

You are not moving it, per se, but rather making e.g. GoDaddy point the domain name in their DNS (Domain Name System) to the Heroku platform. Heroku actually will then route it to the correct dyno (server) and your code will be processed.

Blog: http://ohm.sh | Twitter: madsohm

#3 jim_2002

jim_2002

Signalman

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:07 AM

ok thank you very much. Cheers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rails, deploy, hosting, paas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users