The ultimate community for Ruby on Rails developers.

Photo

"General Methodologies"?

beginners best practices development cycle

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jemagee

Jemagee

Inspector

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

So the 'getting started' sub-section of the Ruby on Rails forum seems to want to focus on installing ruby and rails on your systems and such but a thought occurred to me about something a bit more 'esoteric' in terms of 'how do you build your websites' in Ruby? 

For instance, my problem has always been that I try to do everything at once, and then I discovered the AGILE idea while trying to do the agile book from pragmatic programming (Gave it up - i don't like scaffolds - too much information that I'm not going to use - it gets in my way)  but I'm still caught up in trying to solve everything before I even get started because my brain just wants to think about next and next and next. 

I don't know if I'm suggesting the right kind of thing but something devoted to the 'development' process - where newbies and the experienced can discuss different design philosophies, or help someone get past a gate that has them particularly stuck.

My issue - primarily - is that I live in a small town in central california - i'm not youngish any more (41) and have a full time job so I have a hard time finding 'local' people to talk to about things and it's just me and my laptop and there are numerous boards out there but I've never found the right one to serve the needs I think I have and i'm hoping this will be it :)

#2 Kelli Shaver

Kelli Shaver

Inspector

• Administrators
  • 75 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:40 PM

I feel like this should probably just go in General Discussion for now. We're not opposed to adding more forums, but we also don't want to overdo it until we have the traffic/usage to support them. Otherwise it just dilutes things a bit too much.

That said, I think these are great discussions to have and I certainly hope the community will have them. :)

I can relate to your situation. In my small town, I seriously think that I am the only Rails developer.

Personally, I take a progressive enhancement approach (and do the same thing WRT limiting features and then doing several small iterations). It gives you manageable chunks, cleaner, well-organized code, greater accessibility, and, uh.... getting lazy and stopping halfway through isn't so much of a huge issue. :P

• noz likes this

#3 Jemagee

Jemagee

Inspector

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

You mean the 'general chat' section in the general discussion area?

#4 Kelli Shaver

Kelli Shaver

Inspector

• Administrators
  • 75 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

Yeah..... sorry, I've been awake about 36 hours here......

#5 james

james

Guard

• Moderators
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLeeds, U.K.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

Yeah..... sorry, I've been awake about 36 hours here......

lol! Get some sleep!!!!!

Programming is just about problem solving!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginners, best practices, development cycle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users